A small favor

• Member Contributer

Greetings all- I have been a member here a long time and have not been able to ride for many years due to health issues.

I live near Cleveland Ohio and am looking to see if any of you may know a good place to have my 2002 VFR gone over and running again. She has set idle for 4 or 5 years and my goal is to take her out for a last few rides before I no longer can. 

Any suggestions are greatly appreicated. 

• Member Contributer
18 hours ago, NEOhioVFR said:

Greetings all- I have been a member here a long time and have not been able to ride for many years due to health issues.

I live near Cleveland Ohio and am looking to see if any of you may know a good place to have my 2002 VFR gone over and running again. She has set idle for 4 or 5 years and my goal is to take her out for a last few rides before I no longer can. 

Any suggestions are greatly appreicated. 

Hi NEOhioVFR.

Sad to hear of your health issues.

You'll probably need a new battery, and fresh fuel then if the engine starts, maybe a tank or two with high quality injector cleaner added might be all she needs. Run a voltmeter over the battery to check your charging system is up to scratch - approx 13.5 to 14.5v engine at idle and 5000rpm, cold and warm engine.

Hopefully no critters have nested in the airbox or chewed up any wires! Perhaps a check under the tank and inside the airbox might be a good idea.

Whether you want to or need to Change Oil and Filter, Flush/Bleed Brakes and clutch etc etc........ Is entirely up to you.

Sorry I'm 14,500 kms away so can't advise on servicing near you. Hopefully there will be many here that can advise and help you out.

Good Luck and Best Wishes for your health - Hope you are able to get many more rides in than just a few.

• Member Contributer

Grum,

Thanks so much for the thoughts. Austrialia is on my bucketlist but I am sure the airline would make me buy a few seats to bring the bike!

I am 63, been riding since I was 9 - started on a Honda 50 mini trail and a few very fun VFRs!

I am starting a little work on her now and hopefully she will be back up and running. I would like a local guy to go over things as I am not as smart as I use to be.

Thank you again for the kind words and wishes.

Honda VFR500.JPG

vtr.jpg

• Member Contributer

VTRs are awesome! I've owned a few too. A former friend got that 500 as his first bike while I had a GS700ES. 

• Member Contributer

Yes fun to throw around the 500 was for me the most entertainig to run around town. Ranked right up there with my old Honda CB 550F  from 1975!

00002219.jpg

Sorry to hear about the health issues, but hopefully as you said you can get some riding in before you just can't anymore.

I don't know any professional mechanics with their own shops, but if you have to use a dealer shop call State 8 in Cuyahoga Falls.  They worked on my old 6th gen. a few times and did fine.  Shop rates are high everywhere, so the more you can do yourself the better.  Good luck with it!  👍

• Member Contributer

Thanks Volunteer-I am familar with them and Sills. There is guy in Rocky River called Delzani's and he might help me too. Thanks for the information! Keep them down!

Archived