Plastex Plastic Repair

tsmitty

I used Plastex on my 89 FZR 400 to recreate lower cowl coupling tabs and it worked well.  It's very strong and like the videos show, you can mold missing pieces with it.

I later found NOS cowls for the bike and replaced everything, but it works well for repairing bodywork that can no longer be found...in a reasonable amount of time at least.

• Member Contributer

I've tried a number of plastic repair methods, shy of purchasing a dedicated plastic welder, and this is the best by a country mile. This stuff takes some prep and patience but if you groove the back and put packing tape on the front you can fix a crack without repainting and it will be sturdy and almost invisible. I got really lucky and my local pool store had it on sale as they weren't stocking it any more, I asked how much they had left and bought their remaining inventory (about 8 kits IIRC) for about $25. I've tested on a butt joint on some scrap fairing plastic and sanded smooth (no fillet on the back) and when bent to extremes it broke away from the joint. In short, I wouldn't waste my time with anything else.

Archived