Brass insert in upper

VeeEffArah

Was taking off the windscreen so could remove the upper to check and clean connectors on back of gauges. The 2 screws holding the black trim pieces were both a struggle. One came out but the other backed out maybe a turn then stopped.  Turned it back and out a few times and the same result. Then it turned repeatedly and didn't back out. Could tell it was spinning in the brass insert.

10 minutes of trying and finally got the screw out. And confirmed the brass insert just spins. Plus both screws had corrosion on the threads.

Any suggestions on how to anchor that insert to keep from turning but not risk damaging the upper?

• Member Contributer

The insert rubber gets old and deforms, especially if they're overtightened. I'd use new inserts and clean up trhe corrosion on the bolts or get new ones. 

To get out ones that fight back, you need to find a way to hold the insert in place. I've found that just adding some pressure, in any direction, creates friction and let's you get the bolt out. 

If they keyed the inserts, our lives would be easier. 

• Member Contributer

Gotcha. Maybe a gentle job with tap and die on both ends and an additive on the threads for whatever those two metals are. You could also try plastic bolts (not too tight!). 

• Member Contributer

Yup brass threaded insert in old brittle ABS plastic. Looks like some of the plastic boss has broken away.

I would rebuild it with ABS pipe glue. Carefully clean the area with acetone first. It will eat the paint. Be very careful to not get any glue in the threads. Coat a screw with anti-sieze, and thread it in before glueing.

In the future be very careful to not overtighten the screws. They just hold a little plastic trim piece.

Thanks and I don't recall any part of that plastic "post" or boss being boogered. May appear with the black non painted area.

As for the screws, any tightening was by the PO as this is the first I've been into that part of this bike. 

• Member Contributer

Getting the angle right at reinstallation can be difficult. I suspect that many have been crossthreaded or never installed completely because of thread misalignment. This is why I suggested a quick tap/die to ensure that you have clean surfaces. 

Archived