RC51 front end swap

Blue Viffer

• Member Contributer
If I might answer for Rick, that's a VFR800 swingarm, hole is already there.

And by the look of the brake stay arm, I'm going to say its a modified OEM brake stay arm for the VFR800.

Rob is indeed correct.

If you are doing this kind of thing on a 3rd or 4th gen swingarm, aren't you going to mount the caliper up top like it originally was ? I didn't want to cut/weld anything on or off the swingarm itself which is why I focused on modifying existing components to do what I wanted.

Which is perhaps why it took so much time to re-build the bike in the first place.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Member Contributer

If you are doing this kind of thing on a 3rd or 4th gen swingarm, aren't you going to mount the caliper up top like it originally was ? I didn't want to cut/weld anything on or off the swingarm itself which is why I focused on modifying existing components to do what I wanted.

Which is perhaps why it took so much time to re-build the bike in the first place.

Well i always imagined that all weight where ever possable should be as low as poss. and brake unit just looks correct/better on bottom.

But now considering that standard is on top and its not like i hardley notice it now and the lock up does look easyer, even with AP caliper i may just try on top.

Ill try and flip round the brake stay so the lock up is on correct side and brake unit is behind it..will see if it fits ok. well may be!

You do have some good simplistic answeres safe-t!

Now ive sorted the 954 front end with standard vfr bearings ill move on to working on the rear again.

Tried to post up a vid i did on me mobile some time ago of bike and components, but the site here dont accept it on the pic post section.. meb ill sort once i find out how 2

Edited by B4D80Y

• 2 years later...
Guest vfrrider

OK, I wasn't as scientific as this, I just tried to make sure the ending ride height and the beginning ride height were as close to equal as possible.

The 2000 R1 forks overall length is a liitle shorter than the 93 VFR overall fork length. I used RC51 SP1 upper and lower triples and lined up the top of the shock with the top of the forks. Worked out good, but there is more than this to a swap, but thats a start. BTW, the rides great.

Larry

VFRrider

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Wow an old thread reread.. lol

Its been 3 years and a few racing seasons now on the VFR!!

Yes it all works..very nice ty.

The rear end turned out awesome, better than that heavy Harris example.

Edited by B4D80Y