1999 - FI light illuminated

Oldmanjamison

New to the forum; thanks in advance for help and suggestions.  I don't know where to start.

I was riding the VFR today and hit a bump in the road that took me by surprise and completely bottomed the suspension.  I am fortunate I didn't crash.  Anyhow, about half mile later the engine began misfiring and then the FI light came on.  Had to secure a trailer to get the bike home.  The engine cranks over for a moment, then everything shuts off (fuel pump, headlights, etc., and the battery is always on a trickle charge but is old).  The negative terminal on the battery becomes very hot after a load is place on the system.  I have a Power Commander on the machine if that helps with determining what the problem is.  I have not bothered to pull a plug to see if I'm getting any spark.   I just went out to the garage and tried to start the bike, the FI light was on, neutral light was on and the oil pressure light was on, I hit the start button, it cranked for a moment, then everything went blank.  Battery voltage reads as 12.51 V.  Where should I start?

• Member Contributer

First is to check the state of the battery and charging system.

Battery terminal Voltage is not a good indicator of battery Capacity, its ability to deliver high load current.

The Negative terminal getting hot could simply mean a loose or dirty connection. Make sure battery connections are clean and tight.

Charge the battery then take it to any good Auto Parts store where they can load check it for you.

Otherwise, if any doubts especially given it's age, just fit a new battery.

If the new battery gets it going, immediately check your charging voltage at idle and 5000rpm both cold and hot engine, you should be seeing anywhere from approx. 13.5 to 14.5 volts.

• Member Contributer

If you hit a savage bump, isn’t it likely that a connection has become dislodged somewhere in the bowels of your Viffer. I would check that all connectors are firm.

Yes, it will be fun tracing it down.  I will, as suggested, start with the simple stuff first.  I'm about to pull the battery and have it tested at an auto parts store as suggested, then go from there.  And yes, it was an unholy, savage bump.  I should sue the state.  I'm lucky to have held on.  It was a one of those bumps that was as wide as the road after they stripped some of the tarmac.  

I will post the results of the battery load test later today.  Thanks.

• Member Contributer

I feel for you-a couple years ago I hit a similar huge hole in the highway in Nashville and hit so hard the pipe bracket broke and the pipe swing out-that was a fun ride home.  Hope you get it sorted.

• Member Contributer
3 hours ago, Oldmanjamison said:

Filthy negative lead underside.  Blind to the eye.  Easy fix.  Thanks for the suggestions.  

Good to hear it was as simple as the loose/dirty Negative battery lead. Trust there is no noticeable heat at the Negative battery terminal now as previously mentioned?

So glad the shocking bump did no damage to yourself or bike. Safe riding.:fing02:

Archived