Installing Facet Fuel Pump On '95 - Looking For Tips & Pics

Guest kayaktom

Guest kayaktom

Hi all,

I have a recurring leak from the stock fuel pump on my '95 (from the vent area). The leak is bad enough that it's leaving a puddle under the bike, so I purchased a Facet 40171 fuel pump to do the replacement. Before I get too far with fuel lines and the install, I thought I'd ask if anyone has done this and can share any tips or photos of their install/routing?

I've seen it referenced as a thread on here several times, but muliple searches have turned up zilch. I'm not particularly interested in running gravity-feed only, for those that offer that suggestion.

Thanks in advance. - Tom

Hi all,

I have a recurring leak from the stock fuel pump on my '95 (from the vent area). The leak is bad enough that it's leaving a puddle under the bike, so I purchased a Facet 40171 fuel pump to do the replacement. Before I get too far with fuel lines and the install, I thought I'd ask if anyone has done this and can share any tips or photos of their install/routing?

I've seen it referenced as a thread on here several times, but muliple searches have turned up zilch. I'm not particularly interested in running gravity-feed only, for those that offer that suggestion.

Thanks in advance. - Tom

I installed one on mine after redoing everything.

I do not like this conversion. Pump does not stop pumping, regardless of reaching it's "designed" psi shut off specs. Experiencing some flooding/excessive fuel going into carbs now... even with new floats/needles. I will go back to using a new OEM pump... I have new aftermarket RR/Stator now, so should be fine now that my old, trashed oem ones are out. Great pump though... just is "too much".

• Member Contributer

Hi,

Have been on half tank to edge of reserve most of the time. 10 liters a time is enough from petrol station to station here. Keeps weight down too.

I am always testing the 5w light bulb used for the low fuel warning lamp after changing out the dash.

Have not run to empty, but have never been short of fuel yet.

New season will start March i guess...

Thanks for the thoughts on gravity feed, but as a longer-distance rider, I prefer the comfort of a full tank. Anyone else with Facet experience?

Thanks, Tom

• Member Contributer
Thanks for the thoughts on gravity feed, but as a longer-distance rider, I prefer the comfort of a full tank. Anyone else with Facet experience?

Thanks, Tom

i am confused. why would you NOT have a full tank when on gravity feed?

after having 3 fuel pumps die.. i punched a hole through the outlet tube.. and turned my 86 into a gravity feed bike. fill it up and reset the trip meter. stop for gas every 145 miles

carry a quart of gas under the passenger seat for that OOPS day.

• Member Contributer
Hi all,

Thanks in advance. - Tom

I installed one on mine after redoing everything.

I do not like this conversion. Pump does not stop pumping, regardless of reaching it's "designed" psi shut off specs. Experiencing some flooding/excessive fuel going into carbs now... even with new floats/needles. I will go back to using a new OEM pump... I have new aftermarket RR/Stator now, so should be fine now that my old, trashed oem ones are out. Great pump though... just is "too much".

Do you have a 40171 or a 40105? The former is not as strong as the latter, and shouldn't have flooding issues, as the pressure it generates is reportedly close to OEM. But I don't think not shutting off would be an issue if the pump was designed to always operate. I don't know if that is the case with the FACET solid state pumps, but I doubt they are a flawed design.

Ciao,

40171, which from what I understand in my research has a pressure switch at low PSI (2, I think) to shut it off. Lots of people on the ADV rider site use these on KTMs, and the 40105 was the one that didn't have the pressure switch/regulator, if I recall. I don't mind giving it a try, just mainly looking for ideas on how people have them mounted, etc.

Guess I may be going at it on my own & documenting for those interested. Although given some time limitations, I'm also tempted to just return it and buy an OEM unit and punt the headaches/experimenting.

- Tom

Archived