Gas Cap Issue

Guest VatoLoco

Guest VatoLoco

Anybody out here had any issues with the gas cap not wanting to open..Heck i damm near bent my key in half trying to get this thing to open....WD-40 all over and it seems to be working ..of course the bad thing was i was on empty go to gas station and the freakin cap wont come loose ...and I'm 15 miles from home ???

I had the same issue with a 2005 Blackbird. From photos I've seen they look exactly the same as the VFR's. I never had an issue again after I used WD 40.

I believe your key is probably worn out , I had the same problem, then I remembered I got a new spare when I bought the bike.

The spare works perfectly. Try to get a new key.

Jeff

• Member Contributer

I've got the same issue, here's the non WD-40 trick.

Press down firmly on the cap before and while you turn the key. The friction from the spring tension on the sliders causes them to stick a bit rather than retract as they should.

Presto, fuel up and go.

• Member Contributer

I have and issue with the cap not wanting to open but mine seems to be caused by the rubber seal possible swelling. If I push down on the cap before turning the key it helps get it open. It seems to get better as the weather gets colder.

This is to all of you with hard to open tank caps.

It's easier with low fuel level, but get a clean rag to hold around a small rat tail file, to catch the metal fragments. The bottom of the filler hole are all sharp from the plant(just the way it's cut leaves and edge that is catching on the cap dowm low.

Holding the rat in my hand going around the whole 360 filling off the sharp edge, while holding the rag under what you're filing.

Been there, done that...... tried all the greasing / adjusting /filling /some other parts / etc. Had some better luck for a short time with some but always wasn't right or didn't last long.......... File the bottom edge... problems over.

Monk I like your idea , Sounds like I need to b very careful not 2 get shavings in the tank ..and make sure its low on fuel ...its a bummer getting caught needing gas and U cant get the cap 2 pop up and youre miles from home ....

Monk I like your idea , Sounds like I need to b very careful not 2 get shavings in the tank ..and make sure its low on fuel ...its a bummer getting caught needing gas and U cant get the cap 2 pop up and youre miles from home ....

It's not hard to do, without getting shavings in the tank.

Funny this topic came up. I was just last evening at the gas station and couldn't get the lid open for the exact reasons stated. I'll try Monk's method and see what happens.

For those who have had this start to creep up.....you WILL bend the key if you keep turning the lock!

Funny this topic came up. I was just last evening at the gas station and couldn't get the lid open for the exact reasons stated. I'll try Monk's method and see what happens.

For those who have had this start to creep up.....you WILL bend the key if you keep turning the lock!

Let us know the results!

For the peeps that have doubts, lift the cap and feel the edge at the bottom of the hole "WARNING COULD CUT YOU"............

• Member Contributer

Pressing down on the lid while turning the key has always worked for me.

My 01 Blackbird's gas cap use to stick all the time and I tried everything like 1st it was WD-40 and then Lock-Ease graphite spray and white lithium grease in the little lock slides but, it still got stuck even on the last time I put gas in it before selling it. :angry:

My VFR1200F cap has only gotten stuck closed twice in just over 2 years and jiggling the hell out of it like I did with the damned Blackbird key & cap got me gas and home safe.

• 1 month later...

A few peeps said they were going to try the filing fix ............ So has anyone done it yet ?

Had this happen to me on Sunday in my garage after about 5000mi. It was always a little hard to open but this time no luck it stayed closed until I pried the edge up with a screw driver. Monk is right, I filed the protruding lip on the bottom of the filler hole and the problem went away, now it pops up like it should have from the start. I didn't even try the lubrication methods as some have stated so I agree this is the fix. Thanks again Monk

I filed a little and the lid popped right up....until yesterday when i was filling up and the damn thing did it too me again. Haven't investigated any further as the tank is full, but I'll try it again when the level is down in a day or so.

• 2 months later...

This just happened to me last weekend. I just got the bike back from servicing the forks and carbs. I opened the tank to fill up and couldn't get the key back out??? It wouldn't close and lock and the key held captive. I was really scared that I would be stuck a long way from home. Eventually it worked but not sure how to avoid it from happening again.

This just happened to me last weekend. I just got the bike back from servicing the forks and carbs. I opened the tank to fill up and couldn't get the key back out??? It wouldn't close and lock and the key held captive. I was really scared that I would be stuck a long way from home. Eventually it worked but not sure how to avoid it from happening again.
I always run my new keys over my wire wheel on my bench grinder, and they work great.

Also it could be the key didn't rotate far enough back to allow it to release, some oil might help.

I filed a little and the lid popped right up....until yesterday when i was filling up and the damn thing did it too me again. Haven't investigated any further as the tank is full, but I'll try it again when the level is down in a day or so.
Just needs more filing.

Of course aligning the cap correctly should be included in the fix.

• 3 weeks later...
A few peeps said they were going to try the filing fix ............ So has anyone done it yet ?

Well as 4 me and my gas cap ..I have not filed the edge of the filler hole ..I did put some wd-40 on a rag and rubbed the heck out of the gasket and it has been good ever since ..but make no mistake about it ..the last time it happened it freaked me out ..so if i know i need gas and i'm going riding ..I ALWAYS check the cap to make sure it will open before i pull off ..so far all good ..gas cap paranoia..i got scared being a good distance from home and knowing i was riding on fumes ...

• 2 weeks later...

this is a known issue, take the bike back to the dealer and they will fit new fuel filler cap, but if you want it to the same key No to the rest of the bike then they will fit a full suite of locks under warranty.

2011 VFR1200F ( silver ) UK

• 1 year later...

When you had a problem with the bent keys, where did you find replacements for them. I've called every Honda dealer within 70 miles of my home not one of them has blanks.

Archived