Spiegler LSL vs Heli bars

mikep

not sure how bars can/ will give you better riding positon vs helibars. (bars do look much cooler though) VFR has only so much room between tank and fearing. Unless one will install bars with a set of bar risers that have up/rear offset to them and extend throtte cables and brake/cluth lines, bars will be at about the same position where helibars are. Do you have any pics of your bars in their full righ/left angle?

Pictures at full lock, both left and right, below. They are higher, wider and further rearset than Helibars.

LSL bar riser - Full lock left

LSL bar riser - Full lock right

LSL bar riser - Left grip full lock right

LSL bar riser - Right grip full lock right

LSL bar riser - Left grip full lock left

LSL bar riser - Right grip Full lock left

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing about the helibars I wish they would've done differently is the reduction in downward angle. To me, those angles are what give it a sportbike feel. I would be fine with just the upward and rearward shift.

With the grip angles flat like that, it just feels more street fighter than sportbike. My S3R is like that. No right or wrong... just different.

One thing about the helibars I wish they would've done differently is the reduction in downward angle. To me, those angles are what give it a sportbike feel. I would be fine with just the upward and rearward shift.

With the grip angles flat like that, it just feels more street fighter than sportbike. My S3R is like that. No right or wrong... just different.

I think there is no way around it. Again thanks to fearing/tank clearance. The same angle will have to be dialed on dirt style bars. Look at OP's mock up pictures (page2), looks promissing. Then look at the angle of bars once installed. He had to rotate them way downwards to get the clearance from the fearing. Angle looks very similar to where OEM or Helibars are. LSL bars probably have a little more upright angle due to the fact that they are wider. Wider bars will allow to move controls a little further out from the fearing. Doesn't look like much.... but again, maybe that does all the difference.

I can see how LSL bar setup will get more range of adjustability if one will introduce offset style bar risers (like in the pic below). That will bring bars out of that fearing/tank range of clearance.

90002.JPG

Thanks fr those pics. It looks like my helibars are at about exactly the same angle/position, although they are about 3/4" narrower on each side.

Is yours DCT? The DCT Heli's seem quite a bit different from the non-DCT...

Thanks fr those pics. It looks like my helibars are at about exactly the same angle/position, although they are about 3/4" narrower on each side.

Is yours DCT? The DCT Heli's seem quite a bit different from the non-DCT...

non-DCT. According to Helibars manual, non-DCT are only 1/4" taller that DCT helibars

• 9 months later...

Old thread, but I thought I'd try to give it new life...

Today I finished installing the LSL handlebar conversion kit from Spiegler on my VFR1200 DCT. I had Helibars (look for them in the classifieds soon), but my back was telling me I need something more. I really love this bike, and so does my wife, but we want to do some longer distance touring and the aggressive riding position really wasn't all-day comfortable for me. I'm not sure how much higher the bar is than the Helibars, but it is definitely further back and wider.

The install was fairly straight forward, but I had a bear of a time with the throttle cables. Full lock tension had me re-routing, trial and error, many times until I got it to work. unlike the OP, I didn't have to modify the bar other than drilling index holes for the switchgear and throttle tube. Contrary to the instructions, I loosely installed the switchgear and throttle and then adjusted to my desired angle. No new brake lines are needed, but I did have to keep the shorty brake lever to prevent contact with the mirror at full lock.

I didn't get a chance to ride it yet, but just sitting on it in the garage, I can already tell it's going to be much better on my back than the Helibars. I'll post an update after a good long ride.

Full

Left side

Right side

Bitte ein Bit

Old thread, but I thought I'd try to give it new life...

Today I finished installing the LSL handlebar conversion kit from Spiegler on my VFR1200 DCT. I had Helibars (look for them in the classifieds soon), but my back was telling me I need something more. I really love this bike, and so does my wife, but we want to do some longer distance touring and the aggressive riding position really wasn't all-day comfortable for me. I'm not sure how much higher the bar is than the Helibars, but it is definitely further back and wider.

The install was fairly straight forward, but I had a bear of a time with the throttle cables. Full lock tension had me re-routing, trial and error, many times until I got it to work. unlike the OP, I didn't have to modify the bar other than drilling index holes for the switchgear and throttle tube. Contrary to the instructions, I loosely installed the switchgear and throttle and then adjusted to my desired angle. No new brake lines are needed, but I did have to keep the shorty brake lever to prevent contact with the mirror at full lock.

I didn't get a chance to ride it yet, but just sitting on it in the garage, I can already tell it's going to be much better on my back than the Helibars. I'll post an update after a good long ride.

Yes I also had to drill the holes, I had the same problem as you with the front brake lever, I just ground off the knob at the end of the lever and it cleared the mirror. I think I had to rotate the bar down a little in the clamps too so everything cleared. I guess I didn't spent as much time as you with the cable routing since I didn't see how it could possible work, nice job. I almost cut to much off since there was just enough room to fit the parking brake on the right hand side. I bitched enough to whoever I bought this from since the instructions were very bad so they sent me a new handle bar which was nice of them. I didn't feel like changing it out since again since I have the factory heated grips which makes it more work then usuall.

Hey Fasterpermits, How tall are you? The riding position looks comfortable but reminds me of my 71 750 almost for position in your video. I like my Helibars but I am short at 5'9 with I guess long arms??? Not sure but it helps this old back and still seems like a modern fun bike.

• 2 weeks later...

Had same problems with handlebar like Darrenk. After change to LSL and zero gravity windshield, went to Montevideo from Rio and came back, Up to 6000 kms, smooth and no back pains!

post-33959-0-39280900-1441072047.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just installed the Helibars. I like them but have to say you better like the position, because there's only one!

Between the fairing, mirrors, and fuel tank, there's got to be less than 5mm of free space for the bars/controls.

Though that could be improved with the right replacement levers.

• 6 months later...

Resurrecting an old thread here, for those who have installed the Spiegler / LSL bar kit, how did you deal with the clutch line?

The way the fitting is bent down and inward from the factory means it's pressing right into the mounting clamp, and it can't be rotated at all due to that, and the stopper that prevents it from rotating at the master cylinder.

Everything is installed and working well, but that clutch lever can't be rotated down to even flat, let alone slightly angled down as it should be.

...not sure I want to risk bending that fitting as it may crack, then I'd be hosed. lol

Any input / photos would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm not exactly sure it's the same, as I have the DCT, but I encountered a similar issue with the throttle cables. They have a bent metal tube that kind of points the cable in the proper direction, and they really got in the way. I didn't bend them, but I was able to rotate them to better route the cables...

Yeah, that was easy. The clutch line is pre-bent in and down, then has an anti-rotation spur that prevents rotating the line at all. Right now the line hits the top clamp (the part from Spiegler / LSL) and forces the clutch lever up at a 30 degree or so angle. ...not a good position for the clutch ...not even close!!! :(

The only option I can see, short of replacing the line, is to cut off the anti-rotation spur so I can rotate the line outward, allowing me to rotate the cluster forward and down.

I just mounted my LSL's last weekend and my clutch lever is fine although maybe a little more of a downward position would be better. I am planning to get some SS lines now anyway because I don't like how tight the lines are. d6afb0b5593004aacb27ce9bfd23c3c6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, that was easy. The clutch line is pre-bent in and down, then has an anti-rotation spur that prevents rotating the line at all. Right now the line hits the top clamp (the part from Spiegler / LSL) and forces the clutch lever up at a 30 degree or so angle. ...not a good position for the clutch ...not even close!!! :(

The only option I can see, short of replacing the line, is to cut off the anti-rotation spur so I can rotate the line outward, allowing me to rotate the cluster forward and down.

Zen,

While I don't have either set up, I've encountered similar situations on many bikes I've owned through the years and have cut the anti- rotation dowls and or location spurs many times. Works like a champ..... Just use a hack saw and a file or dremel tool. Either way, you'll be happy when you get your set-up the way you want it.

So I ended up doing just that ...cutting off the anti rotation pin. It allowed me to rotate the clutch line enough to angle things down to a proper level. I spent a couple hours fiddling with rotating the bars forward enough for the clutch reservoir to NOT hit the fork's preload a damping adjusters (would be a lot easier if I screwed those things all the way down, lol). Right now it is basically resting on top of that stack, and I'm still interfering with the fairing at full lock ...but if I rotate the bars back toward the rider, that same adjustment stack on the fork forces the clutch master cylinder up pushing the lever back into an upward angle ...I think I'll just have to deal with it like this.

I have a feeling that, after my neck surgery, if I can still tilt my head back enough, I will revert to the stock bars This is more comfortable for my messed up neck, but I don't really like the feeling of the bars like this when strafing canyons.

...gotta do what I gotta do to ride though. :)

Thanks for the feedback guys, it all helps!

• 2 months later...
  • Member Contributer

Anyone regret doing this modification? I have a non-DCT and now that I am doing longer rides, my left palm stays numb for a day after my ride. I don't want to cause permanent damage, and I think being a bit more upright will make me less fatigued at the end of the day. I'm alsoconcerned about the clutch lever/master cylinder clearance.....

On June 12, 2016 at 10:26 AM, RC1237V said:

Anyone regret doing this modification? I have a non-DCT and now that I am doing longer rides, my left palm stays numb for a day after my ride. I don't want to cause permanent damage, and I think being a bit more upright will make me less fatigued at the end of the day. I'm alsoconcerned about the clutch lever/master cylinder clearance.....

No regrets at all on the LSL conversion- you lose a little steering lock, or at least I have where I have them positioned, but the riding position is way better for me anyhow. I prefer a more upright position yet it still affords you the ability to get into an attack mode position as well. I still want to get SS lines but for now the dremel tool took care of the little stoppers and I have no line issues. Too bad you were not close to Phx I would let you test it out. Maybe you can find someone in your neck of the woods with a conversion. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

Just put my Spiegler LSL super-moto bar on and wow, the difference IS dramatic. Rode it around the block and it felt too high, so I tilted them a few degrees back. The first few miles felt a bit weird, like I was gonna fall off the back of the bike. After a few minutes I got used to it and it was awesome on the freeway! Not only totally relaxing, but I could look around easier, without moving around in my lane. Then I hit the twisties (highway 9) and a few turns in, I re-calibrated my steering inputs for the more leverage available. The bike feels much lighter and more controllable, in all situations. The bike feels less cramped, and I can move around easier, as well as my knees don't hurt - I wish I had done this awhile ago! Now I know why Tuono owners have the "Tuono Grin". 

The Spiegler adapters would not go all the way down since my fork tubes are raised quite a bit, and the bar hit my fork tubes. I also have the long billet levers, so I was worried about the clearance issues others have had. I ended up routing the brake and clutch lines on the inside of the fork tubes, as it seemed more natural, and doesn't rub. I took the top bridge (triple clamp) off, and never had to remove the throttle cables. It was a piece of cake, and only took a bit over an hour. 

No pics as it seems I have hit a limit on size? My pics are only 2.5....?????

You are only allowed to upload 15.79mb.
  • OK

• Member Contributer

I am really thinking about doing this mod. For those that have already installed the LSL bars, any differences in the bad weather? Finding yourself outside the weather protection afforded by the plastic? I guess you can always bend down, and/or just get a higher screen...

I'm so glad that I installed the LSL bar; totally changed the bike for me, in a good way, but I will be honest, I do now get some buffeting of my helmet.  It may be a combination of my taller Givi screen, but It's only at supra-legal speeds.  When my wife sees me crouch down, she knows she's probably going to have to reel me in...

• Member Contributer

I notice less buffeting, although I am not very tall, and have the stock windscreen. I think I am above the turbulence now, whereas before it would hit me at forehead level. I can ride this bike all day now, and I can ride harder in the twisties. The only hindrance might be very high speed sweepers where you are really leaned over and pulling the ton(100+ mph), I think the extra leverage on the bars might make it a bit twitchy. For everything else, the bars are awesome.

20160629_193722.jpg

20160629_203841.jpg

20150828_061628.jpg

Archived