VFR1200F DCT not starting

Frank

Hi all.  2 months ago I bought a VFR1200F DCT.  Day one and it ran real well.  Day 2 and I had a bad radiator leak.  Not wanting to pay £1100 for a new one I waited near 7 weeks to get a company to totally refurbish mine.  It is like brand new.

Now that it is fitted, my bike will not start whatsoever.  It turns over freely.  I charged the battery but still nothing.  I have just an hour ago taken out the rear 2 plugs.  They are a little dark and possibly a tiny bit wet.  I have ordered 4 new plugs today (although the bike was always dealer serviced and I presume the plugs got done during one of the services).  I am looking for answers before I get the new plugs as I can't see why I didn't even get a burp out of it.  Any ideas?

• Member Contributer

Retrace your steps - you likely unplugged or removed something that over the course of 7+ weeks was forgotten about.  We've all done something similar one time or another.

• Member Contributer

Hi Frank. Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a flooded engine!

Did you previously run your bike for a very short period without warming up the engine then stop it? Then the next start attempt it cranks but wont start?

This is the symptoms of flooded engine. You need to go through the flooded start procedure in the Owner's Manual.

When starting the engine from cold always allow the engine to warm up a little before switching off. If you don't allow for a warm up, then even a day or two later, you could end up with a flooded start situation.

Check out this link, it was a flooded engine scenario that caused his starting problems.

Archived