Is this needed anymore

LoneStar66

• Member Contributer

That is the purge solenoid for the now-gone vapor canister.  The canister stores fuel vapors from the tank, and then the solenoid is actuated electrically and opens and closes using vacuum supplied by the hose to the solenoid to purge the canister of vapor through the intake system.   You can safely remove the solenoid - tuck the connector away or zip tie it - the big thing is to then plug the vacuum hose so that you don't have a vacuum leak.  If left unplugged you'll have idle issues and possibly lean running.  You can trace the hose to its source to remove it and cap the vacuum fitting, or you can also use a ball bearing to plug the hose or cap it as well.  As long as air is not passing through it.  However you do it, the vacuum issue has to be dealt with when removing the solenoid. 

• Member Contributer

+1 for Cogswell's recommendations. Just to add, the other good thing is that, electrically disconnecting the solenoid will Not flag up an EFI fault code.

Just noticed your steel oil cooler pipe doesn't look good at all! Seems to have been crushed! Or is that some sort of bad reflection on the pipe I'm seeing?

20210709_151751.thumb.jpg.bb44bf7cca65264e4d517b65405bca1f.jpg

• Member Contributer

God help me if they ever start smog checking bikes - I'd have to backtrack on so many things like this!  I'd probably have to get a "rider" bike and relegate the viffer to track duty.  I'm sure that I'd have a lot of good company! 

Archived