OEM 12 Socket + OEM heated grips = NO GO?

aeroden

Hi guys,

Just looked at the installation instructions for OEM 12v Accessory Socket and OEM Heated Grips and both manuals say these things do not go together... Is that indeed so? Sounds very irrational, particularly for sport-touring bike.

• Member Contributer

Could be just due to the number of plugs available on the OEM wiring harness/accessory harness.  Easily solved with some OEM-type connectors, wire and solder, I would think?

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

Yep, they both connect to the same (and only) accessory connector on the OEM harness.  Connect the grips there and connect the 12v accessory socket to the battery or better yet, to a fuse block.

• Member Contributer

So long as a high-Amp accessory is not used via the accessory socket whilst the heated grips are being used, there shouldn't be any need for a fuse block, however.

Ciao,

The guy here reports that he managed to connect the both, like there is no issue at all. Indeed according to the manual there is only one accessory harness connector.

My current 3rd party accessory plug is hooked directly into the battery. How I don't like it this way, because I have a phone charger plugged there all of the time and they all have leds that drain the battery slowly. So I'm looking for a way to cut plug's power once I switch the bike off. OEM plug is one (pricey) way to do it, but then I've got puzzled with its another limit, i.e. preventing heated grips install (unless we got with soldering iron as JZH suggests).

Are there any switchable aftermarket 12v sockets that you can recommend?

• Member Contributer

Should the soldering iron beckon, I don't know of any sources of OEM connectors in Oz, but there's Eastern Beaver in Japan (run by a Canadian, VFR-owning ex-pat), and in the 'States Joe at Cycle Terminal is great to work with on international orders.

Ciao,

2 hours ago, JZH said:

hould the soldering iron beckon, I don't know of any sources of OEM connectors in Oz

Oh yeah, Cycle Terminal! Thanks for pointing them out. Their articles taught me a couple of things about proper crimping, back then, but I totally forgot about how they called.

Or you can always try to source the multi-ended wire harness offered in other markets outside of the North America which ties into the OEM power source switched to the key.  I bought one a couple of years ago while visiting the UK but have yet to install.

Archived