hindsight wiring regrets

Samuelx

Hi All,

Awhile back, I installed a Denali split sound bomb and added some additional running lights.  In order to get switched on power for the relays, I tapped into the positive tail light wire (brown/black wire).  I cut the wire, added some connectors with an extra post, and then connected the relays to the post.  Shortly afterwards, of course, I found that there is a 3 prong connector just a little ways up the wire from where I had cut (DOH!).  Being that I still have some more electrical accessories that I'm planning on adding (extra brake light and maybe some driving lights), I'm going to do what I would have done from the get go if I had just done a little more planning/researching (so I wouldn't have had to permanently modify/damage OEM wiring).

I got some Sumitomo connectors from this website:    http://www.cycleterminal.com/hx-series.html   and am going to add an extra section of wiring with easy access posts.  Note that there are two versions of this connector - one with a wide "snap lock" and one with a narrow one - I ordered the wide one.

Here is the connector (just following the wiring from the tail light towards the gas tank):

a9kzme.jpg

Here is the new section I'm going to put in:

15cbon8.jpg

FWIW, I've never been a fan of the snap lock style splice connectors - I've always felt that using those would sever a few of the strands of the wire I was tapping into.  So, if you're OCD/quirky/stupid about that like me, adding a fresh section of wiring might be a reasonable alternative...

• Member Contributer

If I were to tap into OEM wiring I'd go for Posi-Lock stuff instead of those snap-on connectors you describe.

If you're just a sunny day rider far from any oceans it doesn't matter as much but I'm also a big proponent of using marine -grade wiring and crimp connectors.  The hookup wires use finer gauge strands that hold up better to vibration, and are tinned for weather resistance.  The connectors include heat-shrink tubing that is coated inside with weather sealing material.

Also give some thought to making sure that all the wiring is tied down or tie-wrapped sufficiently to keep vibration down.

• Member Contributer
16 hours ago, Samuelx said:

Hi All,

Awhile back, I installed a Denali split sound bomb and added some additional running lights.  In order to get switched on power for the relays, I tapped into the positive tail light wire (brown/black wire).  I cut the wire, added some connectors with an extra post, and then connected the relays to the post.  Shortly afterwards, of course, I found that there is a 3 prong connector just a little ways up the wire from where I had cut (DOH!).  Being that I still have some more electrical accessories that I'm planning on adding (extra brake light and maybe some driving lights), I'm going to do what I would have done from the get go if I had just done a little more planning/researching (so I wouldn't have had to permanently modify/damage OEM wiring).

I got some Sumitomo connectors from this website:    http://www.cycleterminal.com/hx-series.html   and am going to add an extra section of wiring with easy access posts.  Note that there are two versions of this connector - one with a wide "snap lock" and one with a narrow one - I ordered the wide one.

Here is the connector (just following the wiring from the tail light towards the gas tank):

a9kzme.jpg

Here is the new section I'm going to put in:

15cbon8.jpg

FWIW, I've never been a fan of the snap lock style splice connectors - I've always felt that using those would sever a few of the strands of the wire I was tapping into.  So, if you're OCD/quirky/stupid about that like me, adding a fresh section of wiring might be a reasonable alternative...

Not a fan of scotch locks or pozi  taps. Have spent countless hours repairing other folks goofs when  they have decided to work on their bike using them. 

Is yours a std us model or the dlx?  If it's the dlx then there is a plug you can plug into.   

On your new piece of wiring I would strongly suggest you put some insulation around the piggy backs as they will pop a fuse if you touch something.   A double bullet connector would have been a safer bet. 

Thanks RT and Fink!

Yes DLX and I actually have a question about the accessory plug - gonna start a new thread in a bit asking for help. 

Yes, definitely will insulate!

Archived