Spark Plug Wires.... which wire to use?

BluRoad

1990 VFR750

So I've relocated my coils to under the seat (I did this because the side fairings have been eliminated). I've extended the 12-volt wiring, those check out for correct continuity to the ignition control module, and added longer spark plug wires — new, stranded copper-cored wires with the original OEM caps. The resistance readings from caps to coils meet the checks in the factory service manual.

Problem: Both coils are miss-firing as seen with an inductive timing light. What's wrong with this picture?

Joe in IL

• Member Contributer

Not sure what is wrong with your setup - Do you have good ground on them?

You can actually reuse OEM coils and wires by locating coils on the front and back of the air box.  Simple brackets can be made up for that.

I'll post a picture of my setup, which I made when thinking about the nekkid look.

9FE68259-4416-49B8-96E0-20F05F5FD0BD_zps

03938972-D227-4834-BB8D-BE82509E5556_zps

9F858539-75DB-4AF1-B5CF-F59288480AA2_zps

Sounds like you have the 12v connections crossed.

Pull your plugs out of the motor, connect them to your caps, and turn the motor over while the plugs rest on the motor to see if yo uget spark. If you do, then it's your 12v connections.

I use NGK caps when i make new plug wires.

That's a pretty innovative install, Rice. As it turns out, the connections were fine, I switched out #2 coil and all appears fine. I was getting bad timing light signals back near the coils, but strong and steady in the middle of the run (?).

Thanks.

Archived