NC21 Electrical Problem

shonga

I am restoring an NC21 VFR 400K and i know nothing about motorcycles. when ever i hit the engine start i hear the starting motor but the engine wont start and there is no electricity on the spark plug what seems to be the problem? the battery is new, I just rebuild the carb and new spark plugs 

• Member Contributer

On bike of that vintage, if you're getting no spark at all plugs you'd want to check the ignition pulse generator, ignition control module, neutral switch and side stand switch.   The easy checks are to look for any dis-connected or bad wiring.  Also check the fuses.  For more detailed diagnostics it would probably be best to locate a service manual. 

On 11/3/2016 at 9:03 AM, Cogswell said:

On bike of that vintage, if you're getting no spark at all plugs you'd want to check the ignition pulse generator, ignition control module, neutral switch and side stand switch.   The easy checks are to look for any dis-connected or bad wiring.  Also check the fuses.  For more detailed diagnostics it would probably be best to locate a service manual. 

do you have an NC21 or NC24? i am getting 422 ohms on my pulse generator using my fluk multi meter can you please measure your pulse generator if you have an NC21 or NC24 I want to compare mine to  yours. 

• Member Contributer
10 hours ago, shonga said:

do you have an NC21 or NC24? i am getting 422 ohms on my pulse generator using my fluk multi meter can you please measure your pulse generator if you have an NC21 or NC24 I want to compare mine to  yours. 

No - not one in my garage.    The suggestion though was that the principles ignition systems of that era were based on are common to most all bikes, though specifics vary.  A manual would probably make quicker work out of tracking down the issue. 

Archived