Honda Heated Grips - glued???

Skids

• Member Contributer

The RH grip on my 08 6th Gen has failed. I had Honda heated grips fitted when I bought the bike from a Honda dealer back in 2010. I'm trying to remove the rubber grip & heated element from the grip assembly (which attaches to the throttle cables) but they appear be glued together!

I've checked the parts fiche and the rubber grip & grip assembly are definitely listed as 2 separate items but in this guide to fitting the Honda heated grips, they appear to be a single (glued?) item.

I'm guessing that in order to replace the grip, I need a new grip assembly as I'm really struggling to separate the 2 so I can slide the replacement on.

Can anyone confirm this?

IMAG0717[1].jpg

• Member Contributer

Not sure about the one piece or two but can tell you that brake cleaner usually breaks the bond of most adhesives used on handle bar grips. I've had good luck with PJ1 Super Cleaner but be careful I actually had it stip the paint off of my Heli-bars!

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Not sure about the one piece or two but can tell you that brake cleaner usually breaks the bond of most adhesives used on handle bar grips. I've had good luck with PJ1 Super Cleaner but be careful I actually had it stip the paint off of my Heli-bars!

Having had more time to play with it I think it's glued on as standard but thanks for the tip.

I can get a new grip assembly by Tue next week so may just do that.

Archived