Coolant flush Q&A (6th Gen Vfr800)

dg1

(Second Water Pump leaking - got to replace with a new one, but first have to flush the old coolant. )

My questions are :

1. How much coolant does the vfr hold ( including the reservoir tanל filled to max) ?

2. How much coolant is in the "cylinder chamber" (if I don't drain that bolt) ?

3. what is the torque for the "Cylinder drain bolt" ( seems to be 6 or 7 mm flange bolt) ?

4. Is that washer reusable ?

5. can tilting the bike sideways (30-45 deg) be practical for draining the cylinder chamber ?

6. Can i flush the old coolant (Cylinder Chamber) with a booze using regular pressured tap*
    * water(cold bike) ? or should I use distilled water and run it for 10 minutes ?

7. After flushing with water some will remain in the cylinder chamber, filling up now with a 50%*
    * *diluted premixed solution will decrees the solution to less than 50%
    - What it the minimum limit of dilution allowed (keeping the pump in good mechanical shape) ?
    - Where can i get a Type 2 OEM solution that is not diluted ?

Tnx
    Pzpz

• Member Contributer

LOL. I responded to this over on VFRW site. Go to the downloads section here and grab the Honda service manual since you're here.

Honda Service Manual says just use the engine block drain bolt.  Replace the washer for the bolt with a new one.  Wash the reservoir.  Fill the radiator to the filler neck.  Fill the reservoir.  Start the engine and let it get up to operating temperature.  Blip the throttle to 3k-4k RPM to get rid of air bubbles.  Refill radiator if necessary.  Refill the reservoir at mid point between "Low" and "High" line (when coolant is at operating temperature of about 175-185 degrees).

Done.  Check again after taking it for a ride.

I would not flush with anything.

Drain at pump, cylinder block and remove one end of the lowest hoses at the three way joint near the oil filter. Turn the engine over for a second or two if you like, it won't hurt.

Refill with a good quality (it will be slightly more expensive than Kmart brand) coolant according to honda manual specs. Krafft makes the best one in my experience.

TS6EPWn.jpg

The cooling system capacity is less than that 5L bottle. Cost me 20-25 Euros.

Then run the burping procedure according to the manual... protect electricals near rad fill spout (there will be unavoidably some spillage if you are new to it)... put bike on sidestand, rad cap off, motor running, allow thermostat to open (around 85-90*C) turn off motor before it spews... repeat a few times after cooling... topping up as you go. Top up expansion chamber. Done. You can tap the rads while you are burping... squeeze hoses etc... it all helps.

Archived