Painting Dilemmas Down Under

Morning All, 

I am having some dilemmas with the Red Baron. I had some crazy plans to chop this thing up and turn it in to some sort of neked cafe cross scrambler (In my head it is amazing, that description does not do it any justice) however I have fallen head over heals in love with this thing and I am going to restore it. 

The problem is I bought this thing deliberately for it's excellent mechanical history and it's extremely poor body work. As I wasn't going to be keeping anything off of it I wasn't stressed about the faded, now salmon colored plastics or the big cracks. The repairing is the easy part and I've done one or two fairings in my time - the paint however is proving to be a massive problem. 

So I'm a tight-arse and do not have a lot of money to spend on this bike - so planning on spraying it myself. The problem is that I am having a lot of trouble finding a paint supplier in Australia that can knock up the Honda MC color codes. 

Can anyone shed some light on this from down under - or alternatively - does someone know of a Red that may be off of a car that is close enough? As it will be a full respray I don't need to blend to original - but it needs to be close enough if that makes sense. 

Original Paint code is R158-P for those playing at home. 

TIA!

• Member Contributer

Take any Ferrari or Ducati red and it will look stunning!

Welcome to VFRD by the way, do post up in the welcome section (with a picture of the Red Baron!)

I think you are right @Dutchy - after calling about 40 different auto supply places here the answer seems to be a resounding no. I did find a paint that can mix some German paint (starts with a G) but to buy the multiple parts of the their trademarked product in the rough quantities I would need I am going to be looking at around $900 :S. 

Going to just find a nice red that is as close as possible and paint it that. I'm going to start a new thread on the project now!

Thanks for the welcome - have already introduced myself with a picture and everything! :)

• Member Contributer

Mid 60's general motors cars have the exact same paint code mix if this is any help to you ,probably get some older chips at a paint supply house to meet your needs .

• Member Contributer

It's $150 US  per pint for the paint and the base color from Color Rite.  A pint of each will be enough to paint the whole bike.  So it will be $300 US plus shipping.   It's a 3 stage proces with the clear coat.  

@Kingmdm I had initially thought of importing some from the 'States - however on checking local laws in relation to shipping paint around Australia our mail delivery system does not allow for it. Which is a huge bummer.

Great suggestion though!

Archived