Front feels light and forks are very reactive

I'm used to harder steering maybe but the front feels light. I'll check tyre pressures after work but they were done at the shop when I picked her up.

Worth noting I'm a 95 kilo guy so some adjustments could need to be made.

Application of the front break causes a small amount of fork dive as well - just doesn;t come on as smoothly as on my previous bikes - I'm not giving it handfuls - this is just touching it really? Anything to worry about? I can't see the adjusters for the forks - I think I have bar raisers so they may be covered - or non existent on a 99/00.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like the PO may have slid the forks up the triple clamp some.  Check to make sure the top of the fork is barely above flush with the top of the triple clamp.  Loosen the fork clamp bolts and slide the fork tubes down to adjust. Torque clamp bolts to specification.  To my recollection, there are spring clip retainers that will prevent you from moving the tubes down too far (unless the PO discarded them).  The fork spring preload adjustment is the screw in the top of the fork cap.

• Member Contributer

Yo, If you havent downloaded the service manual from this site do it. There is just preload on top of the forks with no rebound on the stock setup. Your problem could be as easy as low oil levels in the forks but doughtfull . If the fork oil level is good by measuring per service manual then new stock grade oil or sightly higher viscosity may be needed. Me, I would change the springs if they are old at the same time as you have to remove the forks to drain the oil anyhow.

I recently upgraded my front end with stuff from daugerty motorsports, new internals with rebound adjustment and am very happy with the results.

Hi

I have the physical service manual!

Will it be fiddly getting to the adjusters with the risers on? I'll investigate over the weekend and do some digging for now.

Cheers guys. Will report back if it all checks out or have questions.

• Member Contributer

Like most Hondas the fork spring rate is pretty weedy, so you will be getting both a lot of sag just from sitting on the bike, and then lots of dive with the brakes. You can wind the preload adjusters in and that will make the bike sit up taller on the springs just riding, but won't change the brake dive. The taller the front end sits increases the rake angle and slows the steering.

If you are keen, the forks are easy enough to modify with stiffer springs and then revised damper cartridge parts to improve control. It is worth noting that the inner workings of the VFR fork are not very different from bikes that have great performing suspension, it is just the choice of a few easily replaceable components (specifically springs, compression and rebound valves) by big H that makes them behave as they do. 

Archived