Trouble starting bike when hot

Ahoy all.

So, today: several hours of riding in 32c (90f) heat, with bike temps at 98-106c (200-220f) the whole way. Due to the glorious British summer we're having, bike temp never managed to get lower than 80c (176f) when stopping to wander a beach for an hour.

The bike took a couple of attempts to start the few times i did stop. It seemed to help if i turned the kill switch off and on once or twice before the bike would start.

It's never normally a problem at all. Just when hot. And not just today. Happened last summer, too.

Any thoughts?
The battery is fine as of last check over a month ago. Charges rates were good.

So far I've never had a problem starting my 5th gen when hot, cold or in between. However, I have had similar experiences with hat starting with '98 Triumph Speed Triple (also fuel injected). The fact that you say switching the kill switch off and on seemed to help makes me wonder if that switch might be cause of your problem. So you may want to use a multimeter to confirm that switch is working reliably.

Also, is the starter spinning the engine freely or only intermittently? If the starter spins but the motor doesn't start the list of potential causes would be different vs. if the starter only engages intermittently. If the latter is true it could still be the battery. Our bikes tend to carry a lot of heat under the fairings and my last battery didn't hold up but around 2 years even though I was careful to not allow it to run down by keeping it on a  Battery Tender when the motorcycle wasn't being ridden regularly. Heat (and vibration) are the enemy where batteries are involved.

Good luck! 

The starter always spins, so maybe i have an issue with my kill switch. Or still have an issue. Can't remember. Might have been part of some running and stalling problems i had a while back. Cleaning it out seemed to have helped. If i remember; The bike would stall (clutch switch, since replaced and fine), then i'd have to turn the bike fully off in neutral, back on and start. The kill switch was the issue causing me to have to fully power-cycle the bike, and that's now not an issue.

In toggling the kill switch when trying to start the bike, i might not really be doing anything. It's just what i did today. If it happens again, i'll see what i can do without toggling it.

• Member Contributer

The only time my 5th gen has been reluctant to start hot was when the battery was on its way out. Just didn't spin with normal energy, but did fire up after a little time. Also started seeing the clock reset to 0:00 a few times when starting. Cold starting was fine however. Has been faultless since I installed a new battery.

Archived