Clicking noise from somewhere in the engine

Here we go - first technical question. 

I have recently started stripping down and servicing my newly acquired '95. Whilst doing some chain and sprocket maintenance I noticed a noise when rotating the rear wheel and chain. Coming from roughly the area of the transmission it is an audible "click" noise that is timed with turning the wheel and changes speed accordingly. With the bike running I can barely hear it though obviously it does not sound like normal noise. 

The bike has recently had the master and slave cylinders repaired/replaced/honed/sealed so i'm less inclined to think it might by a sticky clutch. 

I'd be interested to see if anyone can provide some further information on this - I've tried searching the forums but couldn't really find anything similar. Is it totally normal and I'm being too precious?

I have not yer dropped the oil and filter and will be doing that this weekend. 

Feedback appreciated!

Common problem on motorcycle (not VFR related I think) is improper tension adjustement of the drive chain that applies too much force on the gearbox drive shaft bearing. It is designed to support heavy loads but this is how you kill it. The more tension you put on the chain, the more it makes some noise. If that's the issue, then you have to open the engine... I wish for you it's not that.

On 7/15/2016 at 3:09 AM, bdouvill said:

Common problem on motorcycle (not VFR related I think) is improper tension adjustement of the drive chain that applies too much force on the gearbox drive shaft bearing. It is designed to support heavy loads but this is how you kill it. The more tension you put on the chain, the more it makes some noise. If that's the issue, then you have to open the engine... I wish for you it's not that.

Or, it could be a tight/seized link in the drive chain itself. I have experienced this and it sounded just like you describe. If you rotate the wheel slowly and watch the links, you should be able to see the stuck link.

Cheers,

Glenn

Thank you to both @Dutchy and @slovcan - I suspect the chain was to blame. Couldn't see anything poking its head up but I gave it a clean and re-grease really thoroughly and it has certainly quietened down. I suspect new chain is not far away. 

Archived