How to remove r/h bar end insert?

I've purchased a Kaoko throttle lock. Removing the r/h bar end weight was easy, even for an incompetent like me, but I haven't been able to remove the bar end insert which according to Kako is held in place by two springs.

What's the secret here, anyone know?

• Member Contributer

Have a look at the parts schematic for your model.  Generally the internal weight has two tabs that fit in to holes in the clipon.  To get some leverage on it, I got a sacrificial bolt at the hardware store and clamped a pair of vice grips on it.  The tabs can be released by using a long thin screwdriver or by removing the throttle tube and pressing on the tabs.  Once released, pull on the bolt threaded in to the weight previously.  Some people use some sort of lube - soapy water, WD40, silicone spray to help things along.  Experiment with it and it should come out. 

• Member Contributer

Hi GoldTooth.

Have fitted the same Kaoko Throttle Locker, it's a great unit that looks unobstrusive. The supplied instructions are good and it's pretty much as per Cogwell's write up. So you need three hands! With a couple of small screwdrivers or needle nose pliers you need to squeeze together the internal clip which should be staring at you as you look at the end of your handle bar, screw in the end weight screw (you've removed) and use this as a puller, as you squeeze the clip together pull hard on the screw and out it should come. Try not to damage your weight screw. Picture below of remove unit.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Grum.

P1010125.JPG

It is VERY tight but the others have nailed the process to remove. Bit of silicon spray in the tube, sacrificial bolt, vice grips and a mate (aka. a third hand) is what it took for me to get it out. I had a terrible time releasing both tabs at once but managed to get one released and popped out past the locator and it was easy after that.

I'm not sure what model Kaoko everyone here has but when I initially bought mine I was supplied with a HND31 which was listed as compatible with Gen 6 VFR800 to current. I wasn't happy with it as it was not in the 'OEM style' as it was far bigger than the stock weight and looked odd when fitted. I queried Kaoko directly about it and they had just finished production of a new model specifically for the 2014 and newer VFR - the HND29. They changed mine over and it's a much nicer fit :)

• Member Contributer
On 15 June 2016 at 9:48 AM, MrGrumpy83 said:

It is VERY tight but the others have nailed the process to remove. Bit of silicon spray in the tube, sacrificial bolt, vice grips and a mate (aka. a third hand) is what it took for me to get it out. I had a terrible time releasing both tabs at once but managed to get one released and popped out past the locator and it was easy after that.

I'm not sure what model Kaoko everyone here has but when I initially bought mine I was supplied with a HND31 which was listed as compatible with Gen 6 VFR800 to current. I wasn't happy with it as it was not in the 'OEM style' as it was far bigger than the stock weight and looked odd when fitted. I queried Kaoko directly about it and they had just finished production of a new model specifically for the 2014 and newer VFR - the HND29. They changed mine over and it's a much nicer fit :)

Hi MrGrumpy.

Mine is the HND31 and quite happy with the look it tends to match the other side pretty well, the black end weight is the same diameter as the original. Think there may have been a couple of versions of the same HND31 and yes, agree, the inner weight certainly required a good yank to remove it. The locker is a handy asset to have if I'm ever on a long boring highway, fortunately that's not too often.

Cheers

Mr Grum!!!!!

P1010132.JPG

Archived