My 02 Refresh

I bought my 6th Gen new in 2002 and have always enjoyed it.  Along the way, I did a few mods and over this winter/spring did a few more, to include:

DMR full fork upgrade and F4 shock (although I haven't installed the shock yet).  I should note I drank beer while Jamie did all the work.  I mailed the forks to him, he installed all the internals AND powder coated the lowers, which were horrible pitted.  Many thanks to Jamie...he rocks!

large.IMG_0449.jpg

I found a used seat on eBay for $30 and put a Saddleman touring cover on it.

large.IMG_0451.jpg

Laminar lip.

large.IMG_0455.jpg

Replaced worn grips.

large.IMG_0452.jpg

Ditched the magnetic tank bag for a Givi tank lock model.

large.IMG_0450.jpg

I had previously wired the H4 bulbs so that the hi beam element would come on when I selected the brights.  It didn't really do much so I pulled that wiring out and added some LED lights.  I put the small green LEDs in last year.  Originally had blue lights but the police didn't like that.

large.IMG_0459.jpglarge.IMG_0457.jpg

I added heated grips probably 10 years ago and put the switch on the left inner panel.  I also put a 12 VDC socket there.  I replaced that panel and added a switch panel to the left master cylinder.  The left switch is for the LED driving lights and the right switch is for the heated grips.  Not pictured is a USB socket attached to the left inner panel and new EBC HH pads all around.

large.IMG_0453.jpg

Bike only has 27K miles on it.  Right now I'm using it mostly to commute from VA to MD every Monday and Friday (200 miles each way) so comfort and visibility are important.  Previous mods include:

-Staintune exhaust

-Delkevic headers

-Galfer stainless brake lines

-Givi top case with integrated tail/brake/turn lights

-Corbin Beetle bags

-Aux power panel

-Blue gauges

-Seb's clear clutch cover

-KenadianKen's top box mount

-Fender eliminator

-Back Off brake light module

-Signal Dynamics modulating head lights

-Garage door opener

-Power Commander 3 USB

-K&N Air filter

-De-snorkle

-PAIR eliminated

-Chinese knock off levers

I think I'm about out of goodies to add and I figure she's a keeper.  I appreciate all the info on this site as many of the ideas were plagiarized from forum members.  

• Member Contributer

Hawkeye, your bike is seriously nicely setup. :-)  Your switches on the clutch master is ace!  Need to ask how you rate the Laminar Lip?  

Nice work!

Dave

On June 2, 2016 at 8:05 PM, dgordon said:

Need to ask how you rate the Laminar Lip?  

I got the regular Laminar Lip (not the touring model) in smoke.  It was easy to mount with included 3M high strength velcro type stickies.  I must say, I am not thrilled with the look but the functionality is about what I hoped.  The smoke version is much darker than the stock windscreen tint so I might have been happier with the look of the clear lip.

For functionality, I've got about 6-700 miles on it now.  I mounted it late last fall and got several rides in to and from work, about 35 miles each way almost exclusively on the freeway but in heavy traffic.  With that much dirty air it was a little hard to really make a qualitative assessment.  

This week I made the 200 (each way) mile trip to work in MD on mostly state highways with almost no traffic...clean air.  It definitely puts the air higher than without the lip.  Seems the air hits the top of my forehead (or a little higher) meaning I get much less noise in the helmet and no buffeting.  I should note that I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam.  Stock handlebars but with the Saddleman touring seat cover which seem to put me about 3/4 to 1" higher than the stock seat.  I also use an Arai RX-Q helmet.  On Sunday night it was foggy so a bunch of mist collecting on my face shield.  With my head in a normal riding position, the water drops didn't move.  Somewhat weird, when i dropped my head about 3-4", slight airflow would clean the water off the face shield.  I attribute this to some minor airflow going between the stock windscreen and the Laminar lip.  Whatever amount of airflow at this level, I cannot feel when riding.  All that said, I am happy with the results and would recommend the product at least for riders not well over 6' tall.

On a separate note, I really dig the Saddleman Touring seat cover/padding.  I got the faux carbon look since they were sold out of the faux suede.  The stock seat was ok for me unless in the saddle more than about 2 hours.  After that, I would start cursing it.  4 hours in the saddle twice this week and more money well spent.

Archived