CCT failed and bike lost power all of a sudden

xenorik1

Hi guys, I have a 2002 VFR 800 with 68000 miles. I had the CCTs replaced 8000 miles ago with manual CCTs. The ticking noise went away and everything was fine. Last 3 weeks, I noticed that my hands would get numb after riding on the highway for an hour. It happened every time. I didn't take any note of that but I did wonder why the engine had more vibration in the past few weeks. Today, I rode about 40 freeway miles and when I got to the exit near my house, I noticed a very loud clacking noise. Like Ducati dry clutch sound.. 

First thing I did was check the oil and it was fine, then since I was about 2 miles away from home, I kept riding with the clacking noise. Note that the noise is only audible at idle or low rpms. Then when I was half a mile away from home, I lost all the power from the engine and it failed to start. I managed to keep it moving by starting with my hand on the throttle. I managed to get home with the bike and that last half mile was weird because it didn't sound anything like a V4 engine anymore. But i got home smoothly. 

I suspect that the cam chain has jumped off.... Note that I replaced it 8000 miles ago.. 

What should I do guys?

• Member Contributer

Well, a 2002 VFR with 70k miles is not worth much.

Have you upgraded the suspension or anything that is removable?

You basically have two options, pop for a used engine from ebay or craigslist or get another bike.  If you have upgraded the suspension and find a low mileage bike then swap your upgrades over you would have an easier time than swapping engines.

I am recommending these as options since you say that you had someone replace the CCT's.  Having someone go through a 6G engine will be more costly than buying another bike and swapping parts over.  Swapping in a different engine would be cheaper than buying another bike.

• Member Contributer

Sounds like the manual CCT was over tightened or came loose. Check them first, pop the right side clutch cover off to see what happened to the chains.

As per above if the chains let go, then significant cost to replace all the hardware, assuming the valves etc did not make contact with the pistons. Riding it with the noise & after the loss of power will NOT have helped the situation.

Yes, I bought Manual CCTs as my replacement, and why do you guys think its not worth fixing? I think it might cost me around $900. I did ride for 2 miles like that. 

I also have a lot of upgrades on my bike. 

What can i conclude if i check the chains?

• Member Contributer

If a chain snaped then the valves would have been left in whatever position they stopped & may have made contact with the pistons & damaged the pistons, vlaves & possibly the head depending on the severity of the impacts !

The chain may have destroyed the chain ways, the gears at the crank & chain tensioners. if you are lucky it just snapped & dropped into the crankcase, but not likely.

So for a full check you need to pull the right side case & both cam covers to check for damage. Then remove the spark plugs, have a look down the holes, then try to turn the engine slowly by hand once att the debris & chains are removed !  See how much damage is evident.

4 minutes ago, Mohawk said:

If a chain snaped then the valves would have been left in whatever position they stopped & may have made contact with the pistons & damaged the pistons, vlaves & possibly the head depending on the severity of the impacts !

The chain may have destroyed the chain ways, the gears at the crank & chain tensioners. if you are lucky it just snapped & dropped into the crankcase, but not likely.

So for a full check you need to pull the right side case & both cam covers to check for damage. Then remove the spark plugs, have a look down the holes, then try to turn the engine slowly by hand once att the debris & chains are removed !  See how much damage is evident.

Ok, thank you. I am also looking at VFR engines on ebay as well because like you guys said, it might be a lot faster and cheaper to just replace the engine.

Sorry to hear this, but makes me glad a couple friends and I replaced my front CCT last month.  It had been clacking for a long time.  We used a new OEM CCT though, not a manual one.  Good luck fixing it up or replacing the engine if that's the route you go.

9 hours ago, TimC said:

Sorry to hear this, but makes me glad a couple friends and I replaced my front CCT last month.  It had been clacking for a long time.  We used a new OEM CCT though, not a manual one.  Good luck fixing it up or replacing the engine if that's the route you go.

Thank you. I decided to just replace the engine. 

• Member Contributer
19 hours ago, Polarbear said:

Sorry if I missed it but do you have warranty? On the CCT repair??

C

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sounds like he replaced the CCT's himself with manual adjusters.

12 hours ago, CornerCarver said:

It sounds like he replaced the CCT's himself with manual adjusters.

Thats right. I replaced them myself. Kinda wish I got the auto adjusters. :(

Archived