No voltage at brown fuel pump connector

I hope someone can help me with this frustrating problem. I have a 2002 VFR800 with no voltage at the brown fuel pump connector under the tank. When I turned the ignition switch on I can hear the relay behind the battery click on but I get no voltage at the connector. I have checked all the fuses in the fuse box on the right side upper cowl. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Member Contributer

Hi Steve.

Make sure your main 30a fuse is O.K. Next you may have to have a look at your Engine Stop Relay and the Fuel Cut-out Relay, both of these Relays need to be energised with ignition ON, if not, confirm the Bank Angle sensor is providing a ground to the coil of the Engine Stop Relay. You need to confirm 12v available at the Br wire on the Fuel Cut-out Relay with Ignition ON, this voltage is fed from the Engine Stop Relay, which in turn is controlled via a ground input from the Bank Angle Sensor which is controlled via your Kill Switch.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Grum.

VFR_Circuit001.jpg

• Member Contributer
1 hour ago, StevePimer said:

A blown 30 amp fuse near the battery and starter relay.  Thanks again.  Who would put a fuse there instead in the main fuse panel?

Don't know but fuses blow for a reason so be aware this might be indicative of a problem that might return. I'd make sure you carry some spare fuses with you for the time being. I had an intermittent issue that kept popping fuses to my main dash board on my 6 Gen. When that goes out you loose everything up front, lights, speedometer, gas gauge, pretty much anything you need to ride safe and ware! Hopefully it was a fluke.

• Member Contributer
2 hours ago, Duc2V4 said:

Don't know but fuses blow for a reason so be aware this might be indicative of a problem that might return. I'd make sure you carry some spare fuses with you for the time being. I had an intermittent issue that kept popping fuses to my main dash board on my 6 Gen. When that goes out you loose everything up front, lights, speedometer, gas gauge, pretty much anything you need to ride safe and ware! Hopefully it was a fluke.

Hi Duc2V4.

Interested to hear about your intermittent fuse blowing (10amp Fuse E). I'm sure I have an answer for you. I have seen this on two separate bikes. Have you fitted aftermarket exhausts?? OR Have you ever removed the rear mud guard?? What happens is that the License Plate Light wiring takes a very important path from under your seat down to the light, if the wiring does not go through the small cut-out it will chaff and short causing your blown fuse. Try just unplugging your license plate light connector under your seat for a while, I'm sure you wont be blowing that fuse.

Cheers

Grum.

• Member Contributer
20 minutes ago, Grum said:

Hi Duc2V4.

Interested to hear about your intermittent fuse blowing (10amp Fuse E). I'm sure I have an answer for you. I have seen this on two separate bikes. Have you fitted aftermarket exhausts?? OR Have you ever removed the rear mud guard?? What happens is that the License Plate Light wiring takes a very important path from under your seat down to the light, if the wiring does not go through the small cut-out it will chaff and short causing your blown fuse. Try just unplugging your license plate light connector under your seat for a while, I'm sure you wont be blowing that fuse.

Cheers

Grum.

I probably should have concluded in my post to say that the issue was resolved. What it turned out to be was the front brake master cylinder was touching the fork tube so when I pulled the front brake lever, poof! the fuse would blow. Essentially the front brake circuit was what was making the short happen. I ended up putting a rubber barrier between the two objects and viola, issue resolved. What made it frustrating is that it wouldn't always blow the circuit when pulling the lever, so it wasn't readily apparent. It was only by luck that I caught it and was able to repeat the issue.

Archived