Radiator Fan

THRASHED

I'm having heat issues. I pulled the radiator and the fluid looked perfect and the radiator looks brand new inside (also consulted my local Rad shop). I bought  new cap and thermostat just in case.  Thermostat looks a little dirty.  I'll do a side-by-side test just for grins.  I did a fan test and have some questions.

In the shop manual it says to run a jumper.  Here is what I did.  I put two connectors on the wire ends to ensure good contact.  I then touched the ends to the battery +/- and got nothing.  The radiator was sitting on my knee at the time (is this sufficient ground)?  I also tried with and without the wire connected to the temp sensor.  Am I missing something, or is the motor toast?

87 VFR700F2

Thanks.

• Member Contributer

On later models one wire to the motor is always hot, the wire through the rad switch just goes to ground.  As long as you have both wires connected to the battery correctly it should work.  Did you confirm the polarity? 

I switched polarity just in case, but it should have just run backward.  I think it's time to order a new fan. 

Hmmm, anybody have any ideas where I might find a new motor?  If found a used unit on eBay and that would work I suppose, but I like to buy new.  

Thanks,

Sooo, it wasn't the fan after all. I re-tested it last night and it works fine.  I did the Ohm check on the temp switch and it shows it is dead. I'll be picking one up today.  On another electrical-related question, how do I wire in a parallel manual switch for the fan?  I still want the temp switch to work but also want to be able to run the fan manually.

• Member Contributer
7 hours ago, THRASHED said:

Sooo, it wasn't the fan after all. I re-tested it last night and it works fine.  I did the Ohm check on the temp switch and it shows it is dead. I'll be picking one up today.  On another electrical-related question, how do I wire in a parallel manual switch for the fan?  I still want the temp switch to work but also want to be able to run the fan manually.

Easiest just to run a pair of wires from the toggle switch to the temp switch and connect to the spade with a jumper and to the temp switch metal body nut with a small band clamp.

Ghetto I know, but so easy.

Archived