Piaa H4 Headlight Bulbs Seem To Be A No-Go

v4hrc

My headlight bulbs are in need of replacing. I have a pair of PIAA H4 55W bulbs on hand and only after fiddling some did I realize that the OEMs are actually a custom Stanley 45W bulb.

I'm not interested in melting down any harnesses so I'm wondering if anyone knows of an alternative to the OEM?

I'm looking to stick with incandescents, not interested in LED or HID. I bought the PIAA Night techs because they looked the most appealing.

• Member Contributer

BTDT. You can use the PIAA but you have to break off the bottom two tabs & replace with a ring adapter. A quick google search has this Australian site http://www.mccruise.com/pages/h4-adaptor

The ring adapters are sold in the U.S. but my usual sources have dried up long ago. I have these rings on three of my Hondas. BTW: Be sure the PIAA bulb is high vibration compliant or you will be replacing the bulb frequently. PIAA uses a longer filament that is wound tight. Vibration will burn it out. That is why Honda uses the lower wattage bulb. H4_Adaptor_fc9316e5-eb06-4968-af95-ca600

• Member Contributer

I don't think you have a problem. You are talking about less than 1 amp additional load on the wiring and harness. 10 watts/12 volts = 0.83 amps.

• Member Contributer

The lower wattage bulbs are only used on US models--the ROW bikes use regular H4s. Adapter rings do change the location of the focal point of the filament, but given that the H4 bulb design is one massive compromise/bodge anyway, I doubt the 0.5mm difference has any effect at all.

Ciao,

can you take pictures of your installation and the differences between the stock and h4 bulbs when they arrive. I would like to do this upgrade in the future. is there a difference in brightness with H4 upgrade for those who have done this mod? I was riding last night and I noticed that visibility is not too great with my bike at night.

Art

Archived