Oil On The Radiator

danterini18

• Member Contributer

I changed the oil yesterday. When I took off the old filter the filter's o-ring stayed on the filter housing on the bike. I didn't see it, so I put the new filter on, with the old ring still on the bike. When I started the bike this morning, oil shot out from the filter and some got on the radiator fan and radiator. Can I just spray a degreaser on the radiator fan and radiator itself and then just rinse it off or do I have to take the whole thing off?

Thanks,

Steve

I wouldn't use an aggressive de-greaser, the various seals and fan parts might not put up with it very well. Dish detergent solution and warm water should be OK.

I've never had an o-ring left behind on any of my bikes, until my 4th oil change on the 2014. Thankfully I did catch it.

• Member Contributer

Make sure you remove all oil and de-greaser before riding.You do not want any of that stuff getting to the rear tire.

Was the engine warm when you remove the oil filter ? Most times if it is still warm the oil ring will not stick to the block.

• Member Contributer

I wouldn't use an aggressive de-greaser, the various seals and fan parts might not put up with it very well. Dish detergent solution and warm water should be OK.

I've never had an o-ring left behind on any of my bikes, until my 4th oil change on the 2014. Thankfully I did catch it.

do not use dish detergent or washing up liquid as we call it. It is full of salt.

Archived