Rc51 (Sp1/sp2) Forks Vs. Cbr1000Rr Forks

JZH

Question

• Member Contributer

I've been commuting to work in London a few days a week and, though my "hot rod" FP is holding up, I've pretty much decided that I need another VFR...  :wacko:

honda-vfr-800-fi-07.jpg

So, why not the exact same year and model I already know and love?  :happy:

And that means mods! 

So, do I go down the "tried and true" path to USD enlightenment?  Or do I really push the boat out, throw caution to the wind and experiment with another variety of early 21st Century Showa forks?

I have a set of 1000RR forks (I think they're usable), but when I took them apart years ago I recall thinking they seemed like cheapo imitations compared with the obvious quality of my SP1 forks.  But are they really worse?  I'm curious if anyone knows the answer to that?  Do the radial brake calipers make up for any difference?

(I've noticed that Honda has helpfully manufactured both a CBR954RR and a CBR600RR in the VFR's lovely PB-215C Candy Tahitian blue, so I can easily fit a matching mudguard--how convenient!)

Cheers,

post-362-0-64360300-1453154948.jpg

• Answers 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On my conversion. I used a RC 51 SP1 lower, a 954 upper, a spare set of Ohlin forks from my RC51 SP2 with the superbike valving, front wheel, and fender from a SP2. Brembo 330mm brake rotors with spacers. Brembo radial calipers. Lower bearing for a SP1 lower with 3mm spacer, and the upper for the VFR. Modded Heli bars. Brembo master cylinders for both the front brake and clutch. I had everything listed in an old thread "Let the Mods Begin Part 2". But that thread is no more. :mad:

DSCN1023.jpg

DSCN1027.jpg

DSCN1094.jpg

DSCN1167.jpg

DSCN1192.jpg

• Member Contributer

Very nice.  I suppose, if you've got a spare set of RC51 Ohlins radial forks, you've got to do something with them!

Ciao,

Archived