Multistrada 1200S Vvt -- Is This Ducat's Vtec?

windyrun

• Member Contributer

Honestly just asking. I have no idea. Just saw a review of the new multistrada and they say it has variable valve timing to improve mileage. They also claim that this is a first for a motorcycle---hence my question. Thx

• Member Contributer

Conceivably it could be a combination of both - though I'm not aware of any engine with it so far. That would be one complicated valve train.

The vtec on vfrs is most like the fuel saving variety found on economy civics in the late 90's, like the civic hx. The more performance oriented vtec(which also helps fuel economy) was found on integra gsr and civic si in dohc form, or civic exs in sohc form, among others. This version always operated on four valves, but at a certain rpm used oil pressure to lock the rockers together and follow a different(higher lift) cam lobe. Being able to increase valve lift at higher rpm is what honda has been doing in many cars in america since the debut of the nsx way back in 1990, and even earlier in japan. Around 2002 with the intro of the rsx type s and new k20 engine they went to ivtec, which added the ability to alter cam timing on the fly 25 degrees either way.

All of this will eventually find its way into motorcycles, but probably not until mc emissions become tougher. The idea of altering valve lift and timing is to have your cake and eat it too. Good steady idle and emissions and when you wind it up it acts like a much more aggresive cam.

Archived