Neutral Light Always On

Mdanger

I have a 98 and my neutral light is always on. I have checked the neutral switch as described in the service manual. everything works normally and the bike starts and stops like normal. I've also checked the clutch switch and that works normally as well. i did have the front cowl apart recently to swap a ignition switch. I have been on a long trip and she runs fine.

• Member Contributer

Will the starter engage with the clutch out and the transmission in gear? If so then it would seem that the switch is shorted. If not, then somehow something is crossed up between the switch and the light.

• Member Contributer

I had the same issue on my old ST1100 and I have the same thing on my current Hawk GT. On both of those it's a small 1/2 inch square "rectifier silicone" as named by Honda that went bad. It goes inline on the wiring harness and I have no idea what it does, but replacing it on the ST solved the problem. I'm gonna order one for my Hawk and see if that'll work. I can't find one on the harness diagram for the VFR, but maybe someone knows what the heck I'm talking about and can further help.

I had the same issue on my old ST1100 and I have the same thing on my current Hawk GT. On both of those it's a small 1/2 inch square "rectifier silicone" as named by Honda that went bad. It goes inline on the wiring harness and I have no idea what it does, but replacing it on the ST solved the problem. I'm gonna order one for my Hawk and see if that'll work. I can't find one on the harness diagram for the VFR, but maybe someone knows what the heck I'm talking about and can further help.

Thats a good thing to check. i did remove that while checking the fuses. maybe Its not in correctly or backwards.

Archived