Best Mpg Ever

engraym

I see the data on fuelly and my bike averages the same as most users. I am curious to what you guys get on average and what has been your best.

The weather we had last Saturday was amazing here in PA. Sunny, Low humidity, and temps between 70 and 80 degrees. Perfect day to give my family a surprise visit 115ish miles away on a camping trip.

I hit reserve reserve on Thursday and had a flashing bar for 12 miles for my commute on Friday so I was pretty empty. I would typically go to a Sheetz which was 4 miles along the way of the start but opted for a place that sells 100% gasoline a couple miles in the other direction.

Looking back at the trip, here is a list of what I feel helped/hurt the overall average.

What Helped

• Gasoline has more energy/gallon than an ethanol blend
  • 80% estimated highway travel
  • Behaving myself 95% of the time
  • Getting aero - explanation further down
  • Bike is stock with only a gutted stock exhaust

What Hurt my MPG

• Horrible stop and go for 5 miles (30 minutes) around Harrisburg. This put a dent in my MPG to an undetermined extent.
  • I didn't behave 5% of the time

More details. Most of the highway travel was split between 60 mph in a 55 semi limited access highway (11/15) and 70ish mph on (283/30/222). The rest was wonderful back country riding on well maintain roads that I averaged probably 50 mph on with a few stop signs here and there. When the mountain roads that I was familiar with showed up, I had some fun which is the 5% of not behaving.

I am 6 foot 3 inches so getting aero helped in many ways. On the way back, my quads started to fatique around hour 4 of riding for the day. I did the typical shifting around on the seat. I then slid back in the seat, placed my elbows on my legs and let my core hold me up. Had to 'come up for air' a few times but resting my elbows on my legs gave my legs a break. This also dropped my head down which reduced the drag from my upper body when sitting upright. I

So what was my MPG? Well I joined the 2 bars at 200, 210, and 220 club.

244.5 miles and my fill up was 4.713 Do the math and you get 51.88 MPG

I filled up again on pure gasoline to see what my typical riding will yield which will be lower obviously and a better comparison. This was just fun to see the numbers :)

Sadly in mainly optimal riding conditions, you don't save any money going with pure gasoline unless ethanol blends cause damage to your VFR. Which I don't think this is an issue.

Cost per mile on both blends.

Typical tank is 2.49 gallon @ 38MPG = 6.5 cents a mile. (Everyday Stop/Go work riding)

All Gas tank is 3.34 gallon @ 51.88 MPG = 6.4 cents a mile. (Optimal conditions)

Had to stop to empty my full tank in the weeds...

post-32860-0-63373000-1440637119.jpg

• Member Contributer

The best I've ever gotten out of my 6 th gen was 44 mpg. The worst 33. Both were unusual. I typically get about 40 +/- in mixed riding. The added range of getting nearly 52 would be great!

The best I've ever gotten out of my 6 th gen was 44 mpg. The worst 33. Both were unusual. I typically get about 40 +/- in mixed riding. The added range of getting nearly 52 would be great!

I was very surprised with the plus 50 result. I was expecting mid 40's. As stated earlier, I usually average around 38 which is a lot of stop and go, not much vtech but plenty of fast low end throttle in 1st and 2nd. I'm interested in seeing what my next tank on pure gasoline will yield on typical use.

• Member Contributer

+1 The same for me .

Archived