Vfr1200... I Did It My Way

BLIGHT

Looks great - nice job and looks really well executed.

Quick question - are you feeling any imbalance with the shaft and exhaust both on the left side? I assume the shaft on the left is the only reason Honda put the exhaust on the right...

Just curious. Beautifully done.

-Dan

Hi Dan,

The new muff is about 2 lbs... the OEM one is about 16 lbs with the motor and cable.

The important thing is reducing weight on this behemoth! The small weight shift to the left is too small to notice.

Remember, Honda has produced several SSA VFR's with a left-exit muffler on their V4 sport bikes:

RC30

NC30

RC45

NR750

Also, Ducati has always put the muffler on the 'proper side' or under the seat to showcase their 'naked' bolt-on wheel.

I honestly think Honda put the muff on the right side as a safety issue.

Probably staff-lawyer advice to keep the passenger's leg away from the rotating, unprotected wheel using the gigantic muffler as a 'guard'.

Left-exit muffler on a VFR is not a new thing... I installed a Two-Bros full system (left side muff) on my 1991 VFR750... 24 years ago!!

Cheers,

BLIGHT

Nice work! Very ingenious and tasteful.

I was planning to have Sargent refoam my seat. I didn't know that you could order that particular stitching design. Really complements the bike's unique design.

Thanks... the VFR1200 Sargent cover and new foam is an ebay purchase... check it out!

That is awesome!. You should produce that exhaust muffler for others to buy (maybe even a twin muffler setup!!!) or share how you did it because, selfishly I want that on my DCT. That is how Honda should have done the exhaust just as they did with the NC30/RC30.

Saves on disturbing the muffler joint or having to swing the muffler out of the way to change the rear tyre.

Also agree on removing the unnessary plastics which seem pointless. Please let us know where the fairing panels came from and how good they are as my 1200 was blown over by the wind and has minor damage to the front fairing as you described...

CIMG7818_zpsb7d3fbed.jpg

Nice bike.... they never offered the VFR12 here in the USA in metallic grey and silver.... very nice.

I don't think this pipe (Version 1.0) would work with the center-stand necessarily.

I don't currently have a center-stand, but would like to get one someday... I could build a pipe to work with it though.

BLIGHT

• Member Contributer

Quick question - are you feeling any imbalance with the shaft and exhaust both on the left side? I assume the shaft on the left is the only reason Honda put the exhaust on the right...

-Dan

Hi Dan,

The new muff is about 2 lbs... the OEM one is about 16 lbs with the motor and cable.

The important thing is reducing weight on this behemoth! The small weight shift to the left is too small to notice.

Remember, Honda has produced several SSA VFR's with a left-exit muffler on their V4 sport bikes:

RC30

NC30

RC45

NR750

Also, Ducati has always put the muffler on the 'proper side' or under the seat to showcase their 'naked' bolt-on wheel.

Probably staff-lawyer advice to keep the passenger's leg away from the rotating, unprotected wheel using the gigantic muffler as a 'guard'.

Left-exit muffler on a VFR is not a new thing... I installed a Two-Bros full system (left side muff) on my 1991 VFR750... 24 years ago!!

Cheers,

BLIGHT

I was planning to have Sargent refoam my seat. I didn't know that you could order that particular stitching design. Really complements the bike's unique design.

Thanks... the VFR1200 Sargent cover and new foam is an ebay purchase... check it out!

Can you point us in the direction of this listing on eBay???n I can not seem to find it. Thanks.

Excellent work!

Any chance of getting a video or sound clip of the exhaust?

Thank you.... I'll try to remember to shoot one and put it on YouTube

BLIGHT

How'd you perform the tail bob?

It looks great.

I just unscrewed the section below the plate lamp and removed it.

Drilled one hole in the plastic below the plate lamp...

Made an angled piece of aluminum 1/8" thick just smaller than the plate with a 4" wide tab above...bent about 45 deg.

Drilled the new mount bracket and mounted it to the rear fender drilled hole... one bolt.

I then applied a bunch of clear RTV silicone to the back of the plate and clamped it to the bracket overnight to set.

Painted the backside flat black, and the edge all the way around the plate with flat black (makes plate appear smaller)

Then cut out 4 little circles of 3M reflector white to stick over the 4 plate drilled holes.... no screws!!!!

Very clean, and pretty easy to do if you can work with metal.

BLIGHT

-Dan

Hi Dan,

RC30

NC30

RC45

NR750

Cheers,

BLIGHT

Can you point us in the direction of this listing on eBay???n I can not seem to find it. Thanks.

Here is today's link... it won't last forever if the seller re-lists or drops it later:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391012515749?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ah, that is a Saddlemen cover, not a Sargent. That is why no one could find it. I have seen a couple Saddlemen covers and they look good when done properly. I also like their seats that have a channel built into them.

Ah, that is a Saddlemen cover, not a Sargent. That is why no one could find it. I have seen a couple Saddlemen covers and they look good when done properly. I also like their seats that have a channel built into them.

Sorry.. I knew it started with an 'S'!!

Excellent work!

Any chance of getting a video or sound clip of the exhaust?

Hello, I shot a quick clip of the bike today with my phone so you can hear the left-side muffler... turn up your volume on your phone or PC, because it's really pretty loud in person. Sounds nasty.... :goofy:

I'll work on a quieter muffler in the future... but with earplugs while riding, this one is OK for now.

My next mid-pipe will tuck in a lot better and will also move the muffler forward a few inches too.

BLIGHT

Archived