No Cut Sliders

Rich

Are they worth getting as opposed to the cut-a-hole- in your fairing kind? Will they just bend when put to the test? Actually, if they bent and prevent damage that would be OK- they'd be sacrificial and will have given their life for the cause. I really don't want to cut my fairing, but if it's for the best, I think I could convince myself. Anyway: no cuts good?

Thanks!

• Member Contributer

Which ones are you referring to, and where do they mount? Some of the no-cut ones mount to pretty flimsy brackets that will just bend without giving much protection.

Which ones are you referring to, and where do they mount? Some of the no-cut ones mount to pretty flimsy brackets that will just bend without giving much protection.

http://t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=220

Don't know if they're bad or good, except for the price, which seems pretty good.

• Member Contributer

I highly recommend the Oggy Knobbs. I was just looking for solid, no-cut tip-over protection, but a member here "tested" them in a slide with impressive results. (See thread.) They're not cheap, and shipping from Australia can be expensive (they had a half-price on shipping promotion when I got mine), but they're stout and look good. I'm a happy customer.

• Member Contributer

It's hard to tell from the pics just how much the sliders stick out, and whether they would really stop any damage to the faring. You'd almost need to see them in person to judge.

• Member Contributer

It's hard to tell from the pics just how much the sliders stick out, and whether they would really stop any damage to the faring. You'd almost need to see them in person to judge.

I was out for a spin today so I grabbed a tape measure. The Oggy Knobbs spools stick out two inches from the tupperware (there's a narrower part that starts about where the bodywork does). They don't seem that long, but as I recall from my research on the options, one argument was that if they're too long they might hang up in a slide and/or the bolt holding them on might break off leaving you with no protection. Cmac's lowside suggests that two inches may be enough if the spools are made of strong plastic. As an aside, they do stick out far enough to rest a boot on (some gymnastic ability required ...) for an alternate position on a long ride.

LeftOggyclose.jpg

Closeup of left-side 'Knobb.'

OK_topview.jpg

Kit as it comes in the mail. Brackets are beefy and a longer, replacement

motor mount bolt is included along with spacers and the other mounting bolts.

• 3 months later...

My Oggy's arrived yesterday - ProMoto now have a store on eBay Canada and US, so I got mine from there (also bought a set for the wife's CBR500R). The VFR set looks exactly like in Belfry's pic, but I was surprised the CBR ones are actually heavier - longer brackets needed, I guess.

It's getting cool up here now and we've winterized the bikes so I probably won't bother installing them now until the spring (they'll go on at the same time as I install a new set of fairings, if I ever pull the trigger on those), but once it warms up again I'm good to go!

• Member Contributer

I put Knobbs on my 06 VFR this summer. Install was easy but was not real fast.

I removed all the evap hardware while i was at it. That actually make the Oggy install easier...

I'm real impressed with the structure of these sliders. They are not a light weight poser. I don't doubt they would help when and if needed!

Archived