Cam Chain Tensioner ( Cct ) Noise On The Vfr1200

swimmer

• Member Contributer

In this thread

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/73761-engine-ticking-noise-at-idle-intermittent-normal/

I posted about the appearance of CCT noise. The only response was from a member referring to a Gen6 issue.

I thought I would start a new thread so its easier for someone to search for in the future for CCT issues considering the topic of the referenced thread was not clear as to what the problem was.

In the video in the first post of the thread you can clearly hear the CCT rattle. As I posted in that thread, mine started making that noise, though not as loud, at about 10k miles. When started from cold or somewhat warm it makes the noise about 20 seconds after starting until about the time I get a 2nd bar on the temp gauge. Unless you are already aware of it and expecting it it can only be heard without ear plugs and you have to lean down (if you are sitting on bike) to the right to hear it and I can only hear it at idle.

I was hoping an oil change would resolve the problem but it didn't. I am using 10W30 Amsoil. The first couple of oil changes I did were with Amsoil 10W40. I noticed the noise about 3k miles into the use of 10W30. Which isn't to say the noise wasn't there sooner, I just never noticed it. My next oil change I will switch back to 10W40 and see if that gets ride of the noise.

I bought my VFR in October of last year so its still under warranty but, even if there was a successful claim filed with Honda and they agreed that the noise should be addressed under warranty I am not sure I'd let them fix it and instead just tackle it myself. I trust my work more than the mechanics at the Honda dealership. Unfortunately CCT replacement on the VFR1200 is much more complicated than on most other bikes so its a time consuming project. There is also a good chance I'd just let it be since I don't think any harm is being done at its current noise level. I plan on keeping this VFR for many miles so its more a matter if I am content just dealing/hearing it rather than trying to get rid of it which would be my normal tendency.

I'll post an update once I change the oil back to 10W40.

Has anyone else besides the OP in the other post had CCT issues on their VFR1200? Searching around it seems rather uncommon.

• 1 month later...
  • Member Contributer

I'll post an update once I change the oil back to 10W40.

So I put another 3k miles on the bike and switched back to amsoil 10W40. The noise is still there. From about 30 seconds after starting until a few minutes after running. This is from a "cold start which right now is anywhere between 75F (morning) and 105F (upon leaving work) ambient.

I'll give the dealer a call to see schedule a time for them to look/listen to it. Even if I decide to either do nothing or replaced the CCT(s) myself at least I can have some sort of record of them seeing bike before it goes out of warranty in October.

this sounds familiar to another post i just replied on: http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/81769-knockingtapping-sound-when-warm/

my reply:

i have a slight knocking sound when the bike is in neutral at low rpm, but it goes away when slightly rev'd or when i pull the clutch in. for me, the sound isn't there at all when in gear and the clutch is out. i thought it was me going mad, but i felt the same thing on a later model (i have a 2010).

i've been told that this is because the gears/engine are under pressure when engaged, thus won't make the sound. as opposed to when they're not, and loose. the bike had a full service during this period, and they found nothing out of the ordinary there.

don't know if that helps, or it's just some ramblings...

• 3 weeks later...
  • Member Contributer

As my warranty is expiring at the end of next month I decided to stop by the Honda dealership yesterday with the intention of leaving the bike over night so I could stop by sometime today to start it from "cold" so that they could listen to the noise. They wanted to listen to it at that moment so I ran the engine for a couple of the mechanics even though I told them the noise was only present about 30 seconds after starting until I get about two bars on the temp gauge. We talked about the sounds that a noisy CCT makes, etc... and I told them yes, makes that noise, most pronounced as the revs drop from a throttle blip etc....had experience with bad CCTs before. I'm positive its CCT noise.

Basically they didn't really think it worthwhile for me to leave the bike and said don't worry about it. Seems like for them, thought they didn't say this, if it wasn't making the noise after being warmed up its ok. Whether the work was warranty or I was going to pay for it myself (which if it wasn't under warranty I'd fix it myself if it really needed it) they were potentially turning away a big job so I can't criticize them for trying to give me bad advice to get money from me.

I know the noise isn't normal. It may or may not be something to worry about. For now I'll just keep trying to put as many miles on it as I can, see if it gets worse and may extend the warranty before it runs out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would make a comment on this. I bought a new 2010 vfr1200 in 2010 it made this same noise from day one. It worried me at first but I decided as time and miles went on to ignore it because it never got any better or any worse. I rode this bike 4 years and 22k miles with 0 problems. I sold the bike last winter and this spring bought a new 2013 vfr1200. I took delivery of the bike with 1 mile showing on the clock. First time I started the bike guess what, same noise. I think I will just forget about it. Just my opinion for what its worth.

• Member Contributer

I recorded a video of the noise and will post shortly. It's different than the noise from the guy's bike in the post I link in my original post.

• Member Contributer

Here is the video. Hopefully it works. You can here the clicking noise most apparent when I back off the throttle. I think at about 14 seconds and then I repeat.

https://vimeo.com/137782676?utm_source=email&utm_medium=clip-transcode_complete-finished-20120100&utm_campaign=7701&email_id=Y2xpcF90cmFuc2NvZGVkfDU4M2ZkMzIxNDQzOGYxZGI5MTlkNzc0NmEwNTZjZGExMTQ3fDQzMzczNjc4fDE0NDA5NzgxMDZ8NzcwMQ%3D%3D

I took another video that I might let me dealer listen where I record from cold start where the noise is not evident until about 30 seconds after starting and then goes away once the bike is about at full temp which occurs about 10 minutes later.

The noise sounds the same to me as the two bikes I owned. Starts abought 30 sec. to 1 min. after cold start then goes away, by cold start I mean like after sitting over night.

• Member Contributer

The noise sounds the same to me as the two bikes I owned. Starts abought 30 sec. to 1 min. after cold start then goes away, by cold start I mean like after sitting over night.

At least I don't feel so lonely now. Out of curiosity, what type of engine oil did/do you use?

I don't think you are alone on this. If I remember right in the early days of the vfr1200 this subject came up a lot and for the most part it was a problem that turned out not to be a problem for the most part. Like I said if I remember right. On the oil I run HP4 Honda synthetic/petroleum blend 10w-40 gold bottle.

• Member Contributer

I don't think you are alone on this. If I remember right in the early days of the vfr1200 this subject came up a lot and for the most part it was a problem that turned out not to be a problem for the most part. Like I said if I remember right. On the oil I run HP4 Honda synthetic/petroleum blend 10w-40 gold bottle.

Also, are you (were you on the previous bike) running the stock exhaust?

Leo Vince slip on, k&n air filter and pcv on both bikes everything else stock.

• Member Contributer

Leo Vince slip on, k&n air filter and pcv on bouth bikes everything else stock.

I only mention the exhaust as I posted the video on another motorcycle forum and one guy said "it sure sounds like an exhaust leak". It doesn't really sound like that to me but I don't want to rule it out. I am using an Arrow exahust. Don't know about the Leo, suspect its the same, but the exhaust pipe does not seal as securely as the OEM since the OEM has a clamp and the Arrow just slips in and is held there by a spring. Did you happen to notice this noise when you exhaust was stock on either bike?

Leo Vince slip on, k&n air filter and pcv on bouth bikes everything else stock.

I only mention the exhaust as I posted the video on another motorcycle forum and one guy said "it sure sounds like an exhaust leak". It doesn't really sound like that to me but I don't want to rule it out. I am using an Arrow exahust. Don't know about the Leo, suspect its the same, but the exhaust pipe does not seal as securely as the OEM since the OEM has a clamp and the Arrow just slips in and is held there by a spring. Did you happen to notice this noise when you exhaust was stock on either bike?

Had the same noise on both bikes with the stock exhaust on.

• Member Contributer

Thanks, saves me the trouble of testing my old exhaust. Surprised that others aren't noticing this noise if its common enough for you to hear it on both bikes you've owned.

Archived