Bls Lowering Blocks Brake Help

DavidEW

Got em they fit great. But I'm having real trouble with adjusting the rear brake. I searched VFRD and read some of the posts about it but still need some help...

Two things:

1) Brake light no longer lights. undid the spring to the actuator so I could pull it up and out to be able to spin the black plastic adjuster. Question...clockwise or counter clockwise? I assume I'm doing the right thing here...

2) Lowering brake pedal...I loosened the lower lock nut and then started turning the top nut under the black rubber nub. I turned it up high so it's squeezing against the black rubber nub at the bottom of the cylinder. Is this right? I read something about actually turning the whole threaded screw instead I'm confused. I need to lower it as much as possible. Am I doing the right thing? It seems I have a bit of rear wheel drag now.

Pictures/video help a lot if anyone's got that.

Any help to get me back on the road ASAP much appreciated...thanks~

David

The to nut is fixed and part of the adjuster. You have done it correctly. I always find that the rear brake pedal is too high from the factory. As for the brake light. If the switch is working correctly then you need to turn it anti clockwise as you look from above (when the switch is fitted)

Sometimes when a person thinks their brake light doesn't come on, it may be on "ALL" the time and needs to be checked for that.

When I hit the front brake the brake light high filament goes on. Nothing happens with the rear pedal applied it just stays on the flow filament.

Rob's INSTALLATION GUIDE was helpful but I couldn't understand what he meant by removing the bottom nut (how) etc etc. Things are made more difficult for me than they should be because I have a 5 year old crawling all over me while I work...

Wish I could remember all the details when I had to adjust mine, but it goes a little beyond turning things, there are some mods that you can do, all you need is to think about how far you can go, then start thinking about what needs "changing" to go all the way(but the wife needs to take the distraction away to think).

I remember I had to take apart all the stuff that gets in the way so I could work on it.

So you've read this, and in the pic where the nut is circled, that's the nut that needs removed.

http://www.vfrdiscussion.com/forum/index.php/topic/34097-bls-footpeg-block-install/

To do that, the upside-down horseshoe part needs to be removed from the brake pedal.

There is a pin and nut that serves as the pivot point, that is what you take off, then thread it off the shaft of the master cylinder (downwards).

This exposes the nut above and lets it be removed. Then reinstall the other part and adjust as required.

Effectively what you are doing is creating more space higher up on the threaded adjuster rod, to allow you to screw the upside down horseshoe shaped adjuster mechanism further on up the rod, which raises the rear of the lever and drops the front of the lever.

Note that this nut you are removing is a locknut, intended to stop the brake mechanism from losing it's adjustment by rotating itself while riding.

I used blue locktite on mine and it hasn't moved since 2007.

If you want, I could take a pic of mine the way it is now and post it.

Oh, and I just realized that yours is a 6th gen, so I'm not sure how different the parts are.

• Member Contributer

When I put these on my 6th gen, I solved the pedal and brake light adjustment issue slightly differently. For the pedal adjustment, I threaded the horseshoe off and used a Dremel with a cutoff wheel to cut about 1 1/2 threads off the adjusting rod. That gives it enough room to adjust to suit while leaving enough of the rod to easily put it back to stock. That allowed for keeping the locknut. Once adjusted, my brake light was on continuously. For that I went to the hardware store and got the smallest split ring they had - one you would use on a keychain. It's maybe 5/8 inch diameter. Threaded that through the spring to the light and then through the hole in the pedal - giving it just enough added length for proper operation. It's been good for about the past 15,000 miles.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got these installed after ordering them a couple of months ago and having them sitting on my shelf. Did the usual stuff:

- adjusted the shifter down a notch or two

- extended the brake light spring by using a split key ring (as suggested by many here)

- rotated the adjustment rod as far as it goes to get the brake pedal adjusted as low as it goes

I'd like to get the brake pedal a bit lower, just for more comfort and control, but I've already backed the bolt as far as the pivot point will allow. I've seen people post about getting the brake pedal lower by backing the adjustment rod all the way out and cutting off a few threads with a Dremel. Problem is, I'm stumped trying to figure out how.

Can anyone offer some guidance on how exactly they managed to get that bolt out of the black "upside-down horseshoe" bracket, and then remove it from the bike entirely to Dremel off the bottom couple of threads? Or is there another way to go about this altogether?

Thanks in advance!!

Archived