Brake Lights Not Working

stb55

My Tail/Brake lights are on as running/tail lights, but do not come on when either brake is engaged. Turn signals and horn work fine.

• I recently removed/reconnected the the two wires to the front switch (under the front brake lever) to adjust the position of the ignition case while changing out the throttle tube , but I checked and reconnected those wires again.
  • I did disconnect/reconnect the rear brake switch/plug under the seat as well.
  • I also did recently install Skene Design P3 Lights (flashing LEDs while braking). These have been working fine for several weeks. The P3 Lights LEDs still work for turn signal and continuously on flickr, but do not come on anymore when either front or rear brake is engaged. I did disconnect the P3 Lights module from the system to see if this was contributing to the problem, but it is not.
  • There is an SDC Diamond Star headlight modulator installed on the bike as well (was there when I bought the bike). When you switch the modulator on, this appears to modulate the tail lights as well. This is still working fine.

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot?

• Member Contributer

That type of wire connectors (Posi Type) mite have cut the wire completely .

P3-wiring-web.jpg

Roll On ..

You need a VOM or DVM to check for voltage .

Roll On ..

I checked the voltage at the plug going to the top tail/brake light and at the location of the posi-tap into the brake wire... I'm getting no voltage when either of the brakes are pressed.

Is the fuse the same for the horn, turn signal and brake light? If so, then no point in checking as both the horn and turn signals work.

Also... checked continuity at the front switch and rear switch from pedal and plug to bike from rear switch (on when front lever pressed)...continuity is fine.

• Member Contributer

The FSM wiring diagram shows that fuse "B" is a 10A protecting both F and R turn signals, brake light and horn. Possibly check for a ground that's loose or related to the P3 lights.

Figured it might be related to the P3 Lights since horn and turn signals work fine and continuity was good at front and rear brake switches.

Took off the rear fairing and started poking around. Both tail/brake light bulbs are good. Found another brake light modulator (SDC Back Off) that had already been installed. Problem seems to be after the brake light wire comes out of this module.

I'm working on removing it since I've got the the P3 Lights anyways. Hoping this solves the problem...

This happened to me when I swapped to lower pegs and adjusted the brake pedal down but never adjusted the switch. I was riding for months with my brake lights always on. Give that nut near the switch a few turns and see what happens.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Removed the older brake modulator unit, the brake light is working now.

But, the rear brake switch is sticking down at the rear pedal.

I'll see if I can fix it, or will have to replace it.

Archived