Led Gauge Replacements 5Th Gen

• Member Contributer

Several years ago I bought a bunch of LEDs for the 5th Gen gauges. I found that the FI light was the only one that didn't work right. It would come on at low power when it should be off, and full power when it should be on. Because of that, I returned the incandescent bulb and lived with it. Of course it isn't really a problem, but it is literally the only light non LED on my bike.

Has anyone else changed theirs? I saw on VLEDS.com that the newer ones are 3 LED and have built in current limiting resister. Is this what will allow it to be off when it should be off?

It's a 74 size, btw. I asked them at VLEDS, but didn't get anything definite.

• Member Contributer

I got no answer, so I went ahead and tried them out.

http://www.vleds.com/shop-bulb-numbers/74-led/replacement-bulbs/red-3-led-wedge-base-dash-light-bulbs-37-74-1-pair.html

They don't work in the FI light. It stays on at low power when it should be off. As in: Key on FI light is on while the fuel pump primes. Once completed it should turn off, but stays on at a lower brightness.

So, back to the one solitary incandescent bulb in my bike...

I got some new 194 amber multi LEDs for my turn signal indicators because they were pretty dim in day light. Not any more!

Again; if anyone has found something that works in the FI light, please let me know!

• Member Contributer

The Fi lights at startup to let you know it has not blown, bulbs rarely blow when not used, so ignore that one. LEDs for most of the rest are great, I can't believe how they transformed my dash :)

• Member Contributer

Sorry you misunderstood. I'm aware of the function, I only included that in order to demonstrate that it functions properly in all instances when it is supposed to be on. My issue is that it then stays on at less than full brightness at all other times.

Archived