Airbag Jacket?

VFRfix

• Member Contributer

My wife and I ride separately, and both wear vests from Hit-Air. One of us (not me!) has tested hers, and it was astonishingly effective. Her helmet did not touch the ground and her only concern was that it might not stop inflating before it squeezed too tightly.

My profile picture is me wearing mine with summer gear. IMHO, the vest is superior to the jacket, as you can wear it over summer-weight mesh gear, or winter-weight waterproof warm stuff.

Highly recommended!

• Member Contributer

Ducati has one that is made by Dainese. Not sure about the availability status of the Alpinestars.

Digitallyhip.. oh that is awesome because I really want hi viz but also want a black jacket for looking cool when off the bike. I'm curious, did you see the jackets? Maybe I could order one of the jackets and then get a hi viz vest that is not inflatable over it... hmmm (Prolly vice versa though)

Thanks everyone. It would be cool if they had pants too...

• Member Contributer

Digitallyhip.. oh that is awesome because I really want hi viz but also want a black jacket for looking cool when off the bike. I'm curious, did you see the jackets? Maybe I could order one of the jackets and then get a hi viz vest that is not inflatable over it... hmmm (Prolly vice versa though)

Thanks everyone. It would be cool if they had pants too...

I have seen the jackets, and they are pretty substantial. But not waterproof and I am unsure about the armour. I am glad that I went the way that I did: real gear with the airbag over it.

As i was looking into it it seems that Helite is the only CE approved airbag vest... What type of accident did your wife survive her hit-air on?

Looks like the inflation rates are different on different brands. When i saw a preview of the upcoming Alpine Stars vest it looks like it "explodes" open like a car airbag. The moto-air one seems to take forever in comparison. The helite is slower than the Alpine Stars one but still fast.

• Member Contributer

Emily's test was a zero speed one. She had a bike that was too tall for her, and she tipped over in a balance loss incident. However a friend who wears the full Hit Air jacket had a 50-60 km/h (30-40 for Yanks) get off and was VERY pleased by the protection afforded by the jacket. The Hit-Air inflates VERY quickly.

We have an intercom, and the incident sounded like "Oh! Fxxk! Pssssht!" and then she hit the ground. It was fully inflated before she got there.

Archived