Dct Shutters In First And Second Gear

RogueWave

But only in 'Auto' mode. It goes away when I use the paddle shifters. I also find the Auto mode does not downshift fast enough when I slow down. Is there something wrong with the transmission or is this just the nature of the beast?

• Member Contributer

I have a 2010 as well and it exhibited these tendencies but my wife's 2012 model did not. I had a Don Guhl flash done to the ECU this winter and after my first spring ride I can report the problem is resolved. The bike shifts noticeably smoother and with no stuttering through first and second. Much smoother power delivery.

On the rare occasion I accidentally left it in Auto, I got the same thing -- also resolved by the reflash (to give you more power down low) or by using manual.

The shift points on the '10 are so incredibly low in Auto that you're lugging the engine badly (and within its restricted powerband), and when you use manual even if you shift at exactly those same points you'll compensate by giving it more gas. Or at least I did.

As for auto downshifts, yeah, it's the nature. Even in 6th it'll wait til you're going 20mph to start shifting down for you, accompanied by a cacophony of clunking and clicking..

I had some initial discussions with Don Guhl regarding changing the shift points and aggressiveness on the DCT, but we both agreed the cost and effort probably wasn't worth the result.

I have read about the Don Guhl re flash to improve top end speed. Since he is not in Illinois, I would have to send him my ECU or find someone locally to remove-reinstall it. Are there instructions anywhere how to do this?

the DCT has it's own oil filter...has it been changed ??? just a guess...

has Honda offered a software update for the 2010 DCT to upgrade it to the 2012 specs ??? has anyone inquired...i believe Honda has done it in Europe

• Member Contributer

the DCT has it's own oil filter...has it been changed ??? just a guess...

has Honda offered a software update for the 2010 DCT to upgrade it to the 2012 specs ??? has anyone inquired...i believe Honda has done it in Europe

I tried that upgrade path with Honda Canada and no dice even though we had a 2012 too and could tell the difference immediately. Pushed and prodded and finally gave up and went with the Guhl flash this winter which solved my issues. In my signature below you can see what I changed with the flash.

Sent from my cerebellum using Tapatalk

Archived