Rear Wheel Removal (For Hugger)

elfreako

So it appears my rear hugger has broken in two places and is rubbing against the wheel. Ooops. Reading the owners manual it gives clear instructions on how to remove and reinstall the wheel. I've never removed a rear wheel before, but I have a center stand installed and the instructions seems straight forward.

I have three questions:

- will the center stand suffice for the removal?

- any idea how tough the 108 N-m torque is to put it back on?

- do i tighten the nuts in opposite order?

I have a torque wrench, but I've not used it to that extreme. Only for things like the front brake calipers, sump plug and things of such...

By Opposite Order i mean, if there are 5 bolts and you count from 1 to 5 going around clockwise, then you tighten: 1 then 4 then 2 then 5 then 3.

CS is fine if that's all you want to do. If in doubt, you can always put a chock in front of the front wheel to make sure the bike doesn't fall forward off the CS. Hanging a couple of straps off the garage ceiling joist would be a good just-in-case safety catch.

75-80 lbs-ft is typical of wheel nuts. I tighten them by clicking the tranny into 1st gear. Alternatively, you can snug the nuts up to a lesser torque, then lower the rear wheel on the ground, then click the torque wrench to full 75-80 lbs-ft.

Yes, do the star pattern. I click them all to, say, half torque (~40 lbs-ft), then go through the star pattern to full 75-80 lbs-ft.

• Member Contributer

It looks like the 7th gen is similar to the 5th gen in that you must loosen the exhaust and rotate it outward to get the wheel off the studs. The other suggestions are good. I like to break the torque on the lug nuts while the bike is still on the ground, then remove once on the stand. Reverse with installation, put bike back down then torque.

Remember to check your torque after a brief ride.

So it appears my rear hugger has broken in two places and is rubbing against the wheel. Ooops. Reading the owners manual it gives clear instructions on how to remove and reinstall the wheel. I've never removed a rear wheel before, but I have a center stand installed and the instructions seems straight forward.

I have three questions:

I have a torque wrench, but I've not used it to that extreme. Only for things like the front brake calipers, sump plug and things of such...

By Opposite Order i mean, if there are 5 bolts and you count from 1 to 5 going around clockwise, then you tighten: 1 then 4 then 2 then 5 then 3.

I installed my carbon hugger without removing the wheel.

I have three questions:

Did you use a hex key with a small tip to get in and behind the wheel?

i use my centerstand and put my one foot on the rear brake pedal to break them and torque them back up

I have three questions:

Did you use a hex key with a small tip to get in and behind the wheel?

I used new stainless allen bolts - small allen did the job.

I did mine recently and as above the centre stand was all that was needed. I couldn't get the exhaust to seal properly afterwards due to the exhaust gasket being brittle and destroyed. So had to get another one of them. Otherwise its a piece of cake!

Turns out my hugger was complete knackered, it just snapped right off. Added to that, the bolt that is in the exhaust band snapped off while trying to undo it. I guess the guy before me tightened it too much. The bolt is completely stuck in there, couldn't get it out. In order to get the tools I want to remove it, it's just as much as buying a new band/bolt. :wacko:

Archived