Purolator Powersports And Honda's Oem Oil Filters?

Corey

I use the Purolator PureONE oil filter on my car, so figured I would give the Purolator PowerSports Oil Filter (ML16817) a shot on the bike (5th Gen). I figured it was made to the same standard as the PureONE and on top of that it was priced lower than the current Honda OEM Oil Filter (15410-MFJ-D01).

Long story short, it's made in China and it didn't quite fit as nicely as the OEM. It fit, just not as snug/flush in my opinion. Now this is not to say it is a bad filter. I've had no problems with it on my bike, but those two factors along with not knowing how it was manufactured on the inside led me back to the OEM filter.

Now the big question I have is, who makes the Honda OEM 15410-MFJ-D01? And how well is it manufactured on the inside?

Well, from what I can tell the original Honda OEM oil filter that came on my bike was part# 15410-MM9-013. It was made in Japan by Toyo Roki and was considered a well made filter. I am not sure if it is still available today. I appears that Fram makes (or used to make) OEM filters for Honda as well as Filtech. I've heard the Fram are considered garbage and the Filtech's are well made. Any opinions on this?

I was perplexed by the writing on the canister of the 15410-MFJ-D01. It said "Assembled in USA" by ROKI. I thought Toyo Roki was a Japanese company. Well, long story short again. Best I could find is that Filtech does some domestic OEM oil filters for Honda and that Filtech as of January 2011 has changed thier name to ROKI America Co., Ltd. So, it appears the Honda OEM 15410-MJF-D01 is a Filtech filter (now ROKI). Am I correct in thinking this?

This apparently is a disassembled 15410-MFJ-D01 oil filter.

• Member Contributer

My recollection and possibly in the link below, the "motorcycle specific" Purolator oil filters did not perform nor are they built the same as the Pure-One filters PL series filters. I switched to the PL14612 a while back. Never tried the ML series oil filters, just the OEM and the Purolator PL series.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Filters.html#OilFilters

Lol

Yeah pL14610 for the longer one. PL14612 is the shorter one. Motorcycle oil filters are a huge rip off. I've been using only PL14610 for the last 6 years/ 60000 miles.

PRO TIP:

If you ditch the evap canister it makes it much easier to change your oil and oil filter....

Archived