Routing & Mounting Of Device Charger

curtis

Picked up a USB plug for charging my phone and Scala unit. Curious as to the best way to route cables from battery and how/where to mount(98 model). Device(s) will need to be in tank bag while charging. I have an SAE extension that can be used if needed. Any advice would be appreciated.

20150408_130129.jpg

Holy SMOKES, things got more complicated.

Connected unit to battery then plugged in device to test. Flashing light on my device suggested it was charging.

Then I unbolted rear tank mount. Fed cable under tank, lifting tank very slightly without unbolting front, just enough to get cable under tank/frame spacer.

Attached cable near steering head with a tie wrap. Plugged the usb portion of the assembly back to the cable, then immediately smelled electrical and pinkish smoke poured out of the usb port. Wow.

So I disconnected unit from battery.

Bike started fine, but my immediate concern is some sort of electrical damage. Is that possible even with an inline fuse in charger assembly?

Of much less concern but still curious, what could have happened?

Note: engine was warm but not super hot during this, and the cable did touch it briefly.

• Member Contributer

Either you hooked up the SAE cable to the battery backwards, or your USB thingy just died spontaneously. Can't think of anything else, sorry.

Ciao,

• Member Contributer

If you need to get power in to your tankbag with an SAE plug, I found these on ebay some time back. They surface mount and connect to an SAE plug. On the inside you can wire in your connector of choice to the pigtail. As for mounting locations, I have a Powerlet in the steering stem which makes it super easy to get power in to the cockpit. I'm not sure if Powerlet still makes them but they're probably still around on ebay or Amazon.

adapter_zps07mjlqm7.jpg

As for the spontaneous meltdown, that's a mystery. If the power was coming through the fuse, it should have blown before the smoke began, so maybe as pointed out it was coming through the unfused ground wire.

Archived