Sf Bay Area Must Do Rides

superfunkomatic

I'm going to be down in the SF Bay Area (Stinson Beach) again this summer (last two weeks in July) and was looking for some suggestions of some 'must do' rides. I've ridden up and down the PCH highway a few times so I'm looking for some off the beaten path routes for day rides.

I really enjoyed riding Del Puerto Canyon over to Mt. Hamilton last summer - that was fun and a great view from the Lick observatory. I'll be riding a dual sport bike this year (Varadero) instead of the VFR so 'goat paths' and moderate gravel for scenery are just fine by me.

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.

mike

• Member Contributer

Mike,

If you keep going east past the Lick Observatory on San Antonio Road, it turns into Mines Road at "The Junction", and takes you out to Livermore. That is a well-known local ride.

A nice weekday ride would be south of San Francisco, the Pacific Coast Highway (CA 1) is nice once you get south of Half Moon Bay. I like to take State Route 92 east from CA 1. There are some fast sweepers near the coast, and it gets tighter as you go further up into the hills. Alice's Restaurant is at the junction of 92 and 35. Never been there in the 27 years I've lived in the Bay Area, but a lot of people go there and it is well known, so there must be something worthwhile there. South on 35 will take you to State Route 9 and into Santa Cruz, where you can turn north on the Pacific Coast Highway back to San Francisco.

Take a look at the Day Ride route currently posted for April 18. Riding that route would be very suitable from Stinson Beach. State Route 128 is a really fun road.

Keep an eye on the forum as your travel date nears. Who knows, maybe you could join the local VFR riders for another day ride down to Big Basin or other local roads.

Browse back through the USA-West Posts for Northern California rides. Many routes and maps have already been posted in recent years. Hope you enjoy your trip. Ride safe, Jeff J.

Skaggs Springs road.

http://www.sundaymorningrides.com/road/7920642/

Kings Ridge Road:

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/KingsRidgeRoad.htm

A little further north, and not really a "must do" road, but hwy 20 from Willits to Ft Bragg was entertaining.

Hwy 1 out of Leggett heading SW to the coast was FUN FUN FUN.

Annnnnd all the rest.

http://www.pashnit.com/motoroads.htm

Thanks, Rob.

I've done the Leggett and Willits runs before. Very good roads and lots of fun.

Although, I'll probably ride the Leggett part of the end of the Shoreline highway again on the way home again. :goofy:

Did Skaggs Springs last year, too. I like the narrow bit in the trees near the coast (first 10 miles or so).

Oh, haven't done King's Ridge. That looks like fun! That's a great suggestion.

• Member Contributer

Have you done the " Sunday Morning Ride " , it's a blast but some of the riders have ridden that route every Sunday since the 60's and most are ex AFM or AMA racers. So I normally just leave the overlook after the fast group and try to follow. Great group of guys to have breakfast w/ after a spirited ride.

Thanks, trjerm. No, I haven't done the Sunday Morning Ride. That sounds like fun, even just to watch. Do you have a link for specific meeting places? I didn't realize there were more than one of these types of rides.

• Member Contributer

Not really, But they meet @ the Tam Junction Arco (or starbucks across the road) @ 0730 sunday morning, then ride to the stenson overlook and have a smoke break. You can look up " Marin's Sunday Morning Ride" on Google.com/maps and they highlight the different sections of "the worlds oldest and best sunday morning ride". Look it up and ride the different sections before the ride so that your @ least familar w/ each section. Also you can go north than take Bolinas- Fairfax rd to Ridgeway- Mt Tam and back to hwy 1. I've ridden most of the backroads off hwy 1 in Marin and Sonoma county and there all fun, but most are pretty bumpy @ speed, therefore be sure you've replaced your fork seals and fork oil before the trip and your brake pads are in good shape. When are you going to be down, I keep my 4th gen in Occidental.

Oh, haven't done King's Ridge. That looks like fun! That's a great suggestion.

It's been 15 years, but ISTR that Tin Barn Road was quite the little goat trail. The Varadero might like it better than the VFR.

I've been looking at Pashnit's maps and there are quite a few cool goat trail type roads around Bolinas and also south around the Great Basin Way. Thanks for your suggestions so far - keep 'em coming.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived