Bad Studdering Under 2500 Rpm

jsjamboree

Been using this forum for the past year since getting my bike but have found everything in needed up until now in the vast knowledge out there. Since I got the bike its had a studdering (missfire maybe) issue below 2500 rpm, if its under load or not (but worse under load). Once it gets above 2500 it takes off like a bat outta hell, its not a gradually better the higher up kinda thing. All mods were done prior to my ownership. Looking for ideas as to what to troubleshoot next or how to troubleshoot past what I have done.

Bike:

2002 VFR

Flapper removed

snorkel removed

Power Commander

O2 Sensor mod

Leo Vince Exhaust

Current Troubleshooting steps:

Replaced the spark plugs

Ran fuel a few tanks of fuel treatment

Tried base maps from power commander and the Cozye map from here

Played with the fueling up and down from the Cozye map up to +5 and -5 in increments (didn't notice any difference)

Removed the powercommander and O2 sensor deletes, back to stock CPU

My only thoughts left is that this is a funky coil pack or a fuel pump issue, but I would think that would effect the whole RPM range, not just <2500. Im kinda out of ideas. Appriciate any help out there I can get.

• Member Contributer

what about starter valve sync? I too had this similar issue but went back to stock setup with flapper and snorkel reinstalled. I also have after market exhaust (2Bros), PCV with O2 eliminators installed but don't recall which map, but it was one I got from the downloads section. I'll see if I can find out which one I'm using.

• Member Contributer

Start with the battery for it's the weakest link in the whole system... To
determine the condition of an Maintenance Free battery give it a
refreshing charge... wait 30 minutes... measure terminal voltage...

12.8 or higher is a good battery...
12.0 to 12.8 is a insufficient charge... recharge...
12.0 or lower... battery unserviceable...

what about starter valve sync? I too had this similar issue but went back to stock setup with flapper and snorkel reinstalled. I also have after market exhaust (2Bros), PCV with O2 eliminators installed but don't recall which map, but it was one I got from the downloads section. I'll see if I can find out which one I'm using.

I have not done a starter valve sync. Reading over the post on it, sounds like it would cause a bad idle as well, which I dont seem to have. I can put that on my to-do list, I will just need to get some tools. As far as putting the intake back together, I would have to hit ebay, as the PO didn't have them. If that could be part of the issue I will start watching for a good deal, doesn't sound like they should be causing my issues however.

Start with the battery for it's the weakest link in the whole system... To

determine the condition of an Maintenance Free battery give it a

refreshing charge... wait 30 minutes... measure terminal voltage...

12.8 or higher is a good battery...

12.0 to 12.8 is a insufficient charge... recharge...

12.0 or lower... battery unserviceable...

I replaced the battery last year, didn't make a difference at that point in time. I'll still run the check just to validate and mark it off the list.

• Member Contributer

BTW, I believe this is the name of the map that I am running... cozye_ver5_jonsey06mod.djm At least that is the map I have in my maps directory that is not off the shelf maps from DynoJet.

Archived