Noise, Shims And Cct's

Hi All,

My VFR has 90k on it, start making noise mostly when warm at idle, went away increasing the revs. I have a week now to look at it (Half gone now though). I am struggling to find anything to be making the noise.
Thought it sounded like a cam chain tensioner (specifically the rear one judging by noise location)- but valve clearances had not been done for a while too.
Seems I was wrong about the CCT's, they are fine, inspected the spring inside both CCT's and was fine too (had a VTR that broke the spring inside the CCT).
I am doing the valve clearances now, but have advice from a local bike shop and just wanted to check here. The valve clearances are within spec of the manual - but my VFR is a 09 and my manual is a 02. Have the spec's changed at all?
According to manual, clearances (non vtec) should be:
Intake: 0.20 (+-) 0.03
Exhaust: 0.35 (+-) 0.03
Mine are:
Intakes: 0.18, 0.20, 0.17, 0.19
Exhaust: 0.38, 0.37, 0.36, 0.36
Firstly, I am surprised that the exhaust seemingly may have increased in clearance, usually I thought it should decrease - this is why I would like to check if the 09 clearances should be the same.
Secondly, I took these figures to the local bike shop (local is 20km's away), the mechanics there said that because they are still in the limits, they would not bother to replace them, furthermore they said modern bikes like the vfr often never require any shim replacements. However on the Intakes I was going to swap them, even if they went a bit over the 0.20 specification (but not now with the bike shop advice). I mentioned it had a noise in which I got told they had heard plenty of noises from VFR's that were not a concern.
Thirdly, I asked the bike shop about the slide pin stopper tool for the vtec, in which I got the reply that they don't even have the tool as it is too expensive to check those - and they don't really need checking. Given my clearances on the non-vtec are within tolerances, does this sound ok?
I am really posting, because I had a noise, have found nothing and don't want to put the bike together and find the noise is still there. Any advice?

Describe the noise. My 05 is noisy at 29K and it sounds like loose cct. Has a loose chain sound and vibration, but since I have never ridden another VFR, the vibration may be normal.

no valve change from 02 and 09, I wouldn't touch the vtecs, the tighter they are the smoother your bike through vtec transition, adjust the regular ones if you want.

There's really only one thing that tends to make noise on the vfr, and that's the cct's. Valves them selves never make noise unless way too loose.

Yeah, I am pretty certain I have to replace my CCTs. Even if it's just one that is noisy, I think I am going to replace both. It doesn't make sense to do the job half a$$ed. I listened to the before and after videos on YouTube and my bike sounds pretty similar to the before. I'm looking forward to the after!!!

Question: Should I not rid my bike until I get this done, or is it just a noise/vibration issue?

There's really no point in replacing them both till the other one is needed, that just doubles your cost. Make sure to do the gasket modification or your new one could start noise soon after install.

Archived