Vfr Comparison

JohnnyImport

I have searched and read many reviews and the vfr800 must be truly amazing because it is constantly compared to a Kawasaki 1000. If the Kawasaki was as good as the vfr800 wouldn't they compare it to the vfr1200 or maybe a cbr1000rr after all against the cbr sure riding position is different but displacement is the same. I am new to motorcycles but aside from a somewhat close riding position are these not apples to oranges in comparison?

• Member Contributer

The VFR750/800 series has been the benchmark by which all other alrounders are judged for many years. The reference to the Kawa 1K is based on this. Journalists have to write something, so find some bikes at a similar price point & off you go for a comparison.

I've read loads of reviews, that compare the VFR to many other sizes & types of bikes, but they all revolve around perceived strengths/weaknesses & a so called target market. All of which is purely opinion based. Buy a bike based on your criteria, is it the right size, does it look good to you, does it do what you want ? If yes forget all the reviews, use them to see if it will do what you want & nothing else.

Enjoy your new ride.

• Member Contributer

Agree with Mohawk above.

The only way to make a decision would be to test ride both bikes, preferably back-to-back.

Best of luck.

I already purchased a 2014 vfr800 white, it is now at the nearest dealer (next town) and I will pick it up in a couple weeks. I believe it to be the bike that best fits my criteria, being 4-5hr rides on twisty roads a sporty ride and appearance without being uncomfortable all out performance isn't important. Besides I bleed honda according to my friends! Just bothers me that the comparisons aren't a little closer, comparing a 1000cc bike to an 800cc just seems lopsided.

• Member Contributer

Surely that flatters the VFR, that they'd compare it with a 1000cc bike.

I agree though, they are quite different bikes.

Archived