6Th Gen Radiator Painting

hilbily

Has anyone painted their radiator with any ill effects? I painted the plastic grates and want to black out the radiator so that they stand out more. Eastwood makes a special alum. radiator paint that is supposed to not inhibit the cooling abilities whatsoever. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• Member Contributer

I've lightly sprayed an automotive radiator with Krylon in the past. Was careful not to lay it on too thick. Did not affect the cooling. With our cooling systems on the VFR running close to the limit as is, I would not use Krylon, but the Eastwood stuff looks good. Again, I would do thin/light coats and just enough to cover.

I like my blondes, apples, vodka and aluminum "natural" ... The aluminum will still transfer engine coolant heat to air, just slightly less efficiently with a coating. ... Are you planning to remove the rads before painting and to give them a thorough cleaning so as to avoid trapping dust and bugs etc in the fresh paint coats.?

I like my blondes, apples, vodka and aluminum "natural" ... The aluminum will still transfer engine coolant heat to air, just slightly less efficiently with a coating. ... Are you planning to remove the rads before painting and to give them a thorough cleaning so as to avoid trapping dust and bugs etc in the fresh paint coats.?

I had planned on blowing them out as best I can with compressed air (carefully and not at 100 psi) and then like Conedodger said doing 1 or 2 very light coats. Just enought to give better contrast with the plastic grates that I have painted yellow.

• Member Contributer

The 2007 RWB rads are black, so it would seem they must have some sort of coating on them. I recently removed my right side rad for another project (20,000 miles on it) and was amazed at how much crud, grit and general crap (leaves, a gum wrapper, bugs etc) had built up. I used tap water in a deep sink to rinse most of it out. There were also quite a few fins bent from bug and rock impacts. A toothpick or a fine dental pick is helpful in straightening them.

• Member Contributer

A few coats of high heat radiator paint after going over them with some steel wool and choke cleaner worked great for me. It was several thousand miles and years before they started chipping in a couple spots.

Ozarks003.jpg

2089.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

That thing is a beaut Dutch. I ended up not messing with painting the radiators. Once I got the grates on and everything buttoned up it looks like the yellow will stand out just fine. This is in the basement under crappy lights but you get the idea.

post-28147-0-37243300-1423488801.jpg

Archived