Anyone Use Interphone F5Mc Intercom?

AaronB

• Member Contributer

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/interphone-f5mc-stereo-bluetooth-intercom?utm_source=product&kwd=&kpid=953742&gclid=CjwKEAiA0O2lBRDOrPX4oJP3t2oSJACjpaHAoADWgDi6PcWMnIZmpZe4abQZSYect0hGZ8VW7r3T3BoCFQzw_wcB

I currently have the 1st generation Sena SMH10 on my helmet (the one you can't update if that tells you how old it is). I upgraded my cel phone and now it won't pair because the thing is too old, so I've got to replace it. I've been doing a lot of reading about the Sena S20 and the Interphone F5MC bluetooth systems. The Interphone even won the product of the year award on webbikeworld. Does anyone have any experience with the F5MC?

I can't decide to get the S20 or F5MC. Help!

• Member Contributer

Been using the F5MC for a couple months now. Other than some bizzarre artifacts from the noise reduction algorithm its a pretty solid system. Range is pretty much line of sight for the intercom. Works well with my iPhone 6+ for both phone & music streaming. Sound quality is decent with plugs in. No issues with volume.

Doesn't have anywhere near the range that out GMRS radios have, but the lack of wires is nice. Have yet to try pairing with another brand of intercom, if that works as wel as the rest it shouldn't be a problem.

• Member Contributer

I hope it's easy to operate..at least it has a smartphone app to help. I'm excited to get them. Should be here next week.

• Member Contributer

A caveat to those who might want to use the "universal" connect feature of some of these systems. I had a good talk with Scala at the IMS show in November. I asked the rep when Scala was coming out with a universal connect feature and he said, "It's already there, it's just implemented on the other brands device, as they use a Bluetooth channel to do it and we have 2 Bluetooth channels on most of our devices." But as far as implementing a universal connect feature on their systems, they decided not to go that route as they already have a 8+1 connection system now and didn't think it would be worth pursuing. (paraphrasing our conversation).

Most of these communication systems have 2 Bluetooth channels, one to connect to a phone and one to connect to a GPS or "other" device. They use their proprietary comm channel(s) to link to other devices of the same brand, thus allowing inter communication between riders all while maintaining their 2 Bluetooth connections. It is only when you link to another brand that you will have to give up a Bluetooth channel to connect to another rider not using the same brand as you. This may or may not be an issue for some, as they may only be using one BT channel anyway, but some of us use the two channels for things like Phone or GPS with a Radar detector. So giving up one of the BT channels might be inconvenient, not only in the sense of losing a BT channel but having to pair and re-pair devices all the time.

If your plan is to just use the comm system just between rider and passenger and your BT devices, however many, then what you get shouldn't really matter that much, but if you plan on linking to other riders, you may want to see what they are using before you buy one. I opted for the Scala G9x unit for my wife and other helmet as my Schuberth helmet's SRC system is made by Scala and I can use either helmet and still connect with hers no problem. I also have a few other riders I ride with who also have Scala units, Schuberth and G9, Q series, so it worked out better for me.

Archived