Need Help With Fi Error Codes

Alexey

First of all would like to say hello to everyone as I am new to this forum.

My 2002 VFR800 having some of those electrical gremlins that I can't get rid of no matter what I try...

The MIL reads 24 blinks which refers to "Faulty No. 2 O2 sensor heater".

It started when I attempted to install some homemade O2 sensor eliminators (330 Ohm resistors), before hand there was no issues with FI lights. At first I thought that the issue was in a resistors itself, so I plugged back original O2 sensors and reset self diagnosis memory data using a jumper wire the way it's described in owners manual, but with no luck,,, next step was to check resistance on a sensors and they happened to be healthy, later on tried some proper O2 eliminators on - also with no luck as the FI Lights stayed on.

After that tried to send the bike to local Honda workshop, but got told something I already know=), when they plugged computer, it red as faulty sensor, but it simply not the case, because bike was tested with original sensors and 2nd time with eliminators (checked them and both read close to 330 Ohm).

Going by owners manual there is 2 more possible causes of this issue which is faulty ECM or dead wire (black/white wire). Already tried to clean all connectors (4P,26P) with CRC MAF sensor cleaner in case of a bad contact.

Is there a way to check for an open circuit without using ECM test harnesses? or check ECU it self.

I would appreciate any ideas as regards to this problem because I run out of my own=). Can't just ride around with that red light on a dash, drives me nuts=). Also - does it makes the bike run richer or is it just a warning light?

Kind regards

Alex

Was hoping it's the case of open circuit in one of the sensors wires, could not check it without test harness, but the little posi-taps did the trick. Connected them right before ECM on 26P connector and multimeter red 330Ohm - which is resistance of O2 eliminators. So it looks like ECM gets the signal, but yet still getting that FI error=(

It also looks like it makes bike to run richer (going by autotune trim table) - hope someone can confirm this.

Really don't know what to do at this stage,, maybe it's the case of faulty ECM, but can't tell for sure.

Would like to hear any ideas or suggestion on how to go about it, really hope that there is a way to resolve this without looking at replacing ECU.

Yes, clearing codes was a standard procedure every time I fiddle with it. Maybe its time to start looking for a new friends=).

Can probably live with it since autotune can compensate for reach fuelling and as someone told me as a joke about FI light - "Just put sticker over it"

But really would like to get to the bottom of this, hopefully can get my hands on different ECU!

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Even Leavin.. I did. checked the resistance on the O2 eliminators, the map being used by the PC3 and everything else I could think of. Haven't tried troubleshooting anything with the ECU, but am discontent in thinking that just installing the PC did something to mess it up. I don't know though. No further progress made.

Archived