Electrical Issue Causing Mad Vibration?

Lint

Ok, my 05 seems to be running fine. This past Sunday I rode in the canyons with a bunch of guys and I noticed something weird. My engine has a coarse vibration and yes, I know I have posted in the past about it, but what made that day weird and what makes me ask this is that a few different times after running in the 8-10K+ rpm range in various canyons, when I stopped to wait for someone, or for a stop light/sign, I literally had to look at my tach to see if my bike was still idling, as it was very very smooth. Then, after eating at The Rock Store, I rode home and the vibration seemed increased.

So, could the running in the high rpms have increased charge and made it smoother and then after sitting for about an hour or so make a difference? Like I said, it seems to be running fine, just increased vibration. I'm stumped. I even checked the center stand to see if it was loose. I balanced the starter valves and I found a vacuum hose with a cracked end, so I cut the hose back a little to get a tight seal. My plugs all look the same and my injectors were cleaned about 7K - 10K miles ago. I am running some Startron to see if that affects anything. I haven't pulled the TBs to see of one of the boots are cracked or displaced at all, but I wouldn't think that would make a difference. I have noticed two different times after having sat for a week that it would turn the starter over, pause then continue until the bike started and if I ride it regularly, it would fire right up every time. I know that points to the battery, as the flickering headlights at idle too I believe. In a different thread I started regarding that, I was told that it sounds like the reg/rec may be going. Could that also explain the difference in perceived smoothness after riding it hard?

It really felt like my bike prefers to be run hard, vs just normal driving, but I don't know. I love the bike and I really look forward to getting the V4 smoothness back.

I suspect that after riding with the engine spinning at 8-10krpm, idle will feel very smooth due to perception, not because the motorcycle is running any differently.

As far as the starter hesitation goes, my '02 is having the same issue. I'm going to check the starter circuit, I suspect there's corrosion which causes the voltage to dip below what's needed to keep the starter spinning.

Archived